Upside Down Icing Method

Decorating By MillyCakes Updated 25 May 2007 , 2:52am by ShirleyW

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all! I love using the upside down method to ice my cakes - however---- I have a huge problem with air bubbles on the top of my cakes! Does anyone know how to prevent this?

4 replies
dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 4:11am
post #2 of 5

i warm up my icing a bit (smbc) so it spreads on smooth. also, try to spread the icing in one direction with the spatula. lastly, i like to used a see-through plastic cutting board so i can lift it up and *see* if there are any air bubbles, if there are, i simply tap the board on the counter.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 4:54am
post #3 of 5

Adriene, that brings up a question for me. I have used the upsidedown icing technique, tried it the first time with a piece of parchment paper on top of a clear acrylic board. The sides were lovely and crisp but of course the parchment paper absorbed moisture and wrinkled, so the top of the cake had lines in the icing. Next time I taped as smoothly as possible a piece of clear Mylar to the acrylic round and it worked so much better. Am I understanding what you are saying here? Do you ice directly onto the plastic or acrylic round? If so, how do you get the icing to release when you want to remove the iced cake? In other words, you spread the icing directly onto the plate, lay the cake on top, ice the sides and smooth? Then when you put a cardboard round on the cake and flip it over, how do you get the plastic plate to release without destroying the top icing. I am struggling with how to put into words what I am seeing in my minds eye, I hope I am making sense to you.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:12am
post #4 of 5

You need to chill the cake before attempting to lift the whatever off the top after you flip it. If the icing is set by chilling it makes it easier to release. At least that was my experience.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:52am
post #5 of 5

I just had an email from Jeff Arnett today and we were discussing his upsidedown icing technique. He says he now uses freezer paper with the shiny side up on the cardboard cake board. I think that sounds really promising, because it wouldn't wrinkle the way parchment paper does. You can find freezer paper in the grocery store section with foil wrap and plastic wrap. It comes on a roll, in a box shaped like foil wrap. Just remember to use it shiny side up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%