Storing Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By ombaker Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 8:23pm by bakingatthebeach

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 12

I've read on here that you can store a fondant covered cake at room temp for several day. I don't know why but that freaks me out. Anyway whenyou do store it at room temo what do you cover it with?Will plastic wrap make it sticky??? If I chicken out and store it in the fridge can I cover it with plastic wrap?

I've never made a fondant cake this big before and I've always finished them on the day so this is new to me.

Thx again!

11 replies
ombaker Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 12

anyone?

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombaker

I've read on here that you can store a fondant covered cake at room temp for several day. I don't know why but that freaks me out. Anyway whenyou do store it at room temo what do you cover it with?Will plastic wrap make it sticky??? If I chicken out and store it in the fridge can I cover it with plastic wrap?

I've never made a fondant cake this big before and I've always finished them on the day so this is new to me.

Thx again!

Hi

i just cover mine with plastic wrap and leave them on the bench or where ever i have room, i made my poker themed cake and covered it Wednesday and its been sitting on my bench covered in plastic wrap, it will be delivered tonight (Friday). Unless your using a fondant that can be refridgerated safely i would just leave it out...

this is the way i do it anyway!!

cheers

kylie

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 12

I've heard people cover the cake with that really thin plastic from the dry cleaners. It's not to seal the cake but to protect it from dust.

Sorry I can't help with the how long question. I would guess that if your filling does not need refridgeration, you are fine for a few days at least. The fodant acts as a barrier, protecting the cake from drying out. That's what I think, but I'm no professional!

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 12

honestly I refrigerate my fondant covered cakes and they turn out fantastic (from my experience and what I hear) The challenge is making room in the fridge.

carorodrigues Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carorodrigues Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 12

I would like to know too, because I have to make a cake for my cousin next week, and I do not know how much in advance I can do it...

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 12

I put fondant in the frig once and brought it out and it became sticky??? I just leave it sit out at room temp. For practice I've left one out for 2 weeks and took a slice every other day and it was perfect.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 12

I understand that you don't have to refrigerate a fondant-covered cake. As the others have mentioned, it is safe to leave it sit out on the counter. I personally have left one on the counter for a week and it was still very moist when cut.

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 12

If you use a filling that doesn't require refridgeration, yes you can leave the fondant covered cake out of the fridge for a couple of days - the fondant will keep the cake fresh. Make sure that the fondant is sealed around the bottom. Covering it loosely with plastic wrap shouldn't cause any problems.
Regards,
Cris.

ombaker Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks everyone. I used the Buttercream Dream as a filling as this is a 3D cake so I guess I'm good for the counter. Thx for all the replies!!

labarradulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labarradulce Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:10pm
post #11 of 12

I have to store a MMF fondant covered cake for a week, it was suposed to be picked today (friday) but the party was posponed until next friday, it is safe to leave it out or should i put it in the fridge?? it`s in a cake cardboard box covered in plastic wrap.
The weather its rainy and 14ºC outside. 57% humidity according to google icon_razz.gif

The cake is WASC chocolate fudge and buttercream and dulce de leche filling, but the filling doesnt need refrigeration.

Please help me because my client wants this same cake, she loved it and doesnt have money to order a new one. icon_cry.gif

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:23pm
post #12 of 12

I delivered the barnyard cake in my pics and she had to postpone the party a week due to rain, she wanted to freeze it til then, I told her I didnt think you could, they stuck it in the fridge til then and supposedly it was fine. I have them get "dewey" when pulled out then they dry up once they come to room temp and are fine. I just got a tub of fondant that I purchased from Albert Uster because I read on here that it tasted good (it does) and on the tub it states it can be refrigerated, so I rolled a little out and placed it in the fridge 8 hours ago and took it out to see what it would do, it didnt get any condensation on it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%