Cake Decorating Instructors At Michaels

Decorating By SweetDreams Updated 28 Apr 2006 , 1:10am by psurrette

SweetDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 11:21am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know about how much Michaels is paying to teach their cake decorating classes and do you have to have completed all of the wilton courses or can you be self taught? There is a Michaels near me that is in need of a instructor and i would love to teach but i have never taken any of the wilton classes before and wondered if this was even an option for me. If not, is it legal to set up my own classes and teach in another location or in others homes? Would i be able to advertise for the classes at all?
Any other ideas for teaching?

Thanks so much for all the help!!

Cake Central is the best!! thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 11:45am
post #2 of 9

Here's a link from the Wilton site that might help.
http://www.wilton.com/instructors/index.cfm I don't know what they pay or what the requirements are but you can check out their site and see if it answers any questions. Good Luck!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 11:53am
post #3 of 9

I took my classes at an Adult Ed Center. The teacher was an ex-Wilton instructor. Maybe your city has a rec center where you can teach? Is there a local bakery that would like to offer classes (I've seen this idea listed on this site). I don't see a problem working out of your home since you're not selling anything (cakes), just a service. Check wilton.com re what they require. Good luck!

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 11:55am
post #4 of 9

I just signed up to teach classes at Michaels, but I have no idea how much I am getting paid. I figured it's more for fun than for anything.

I don't see why you couldn't teach classes on your own. I'm considering that as well...that way, you are not obligated to stick to the Wilton method.

Good luck!!

riagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riagirl Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 9

i asked a similar question awhile back with some good and informative replies. check it out and good luck!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-18717-wilton.html+instructor

SweetDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks you all for your input so far, it has been really helpful. I have to think about what to do a little more but it would be fun to get out of the house and get a break from the kids once in a while and actually get to do something i love without interuptions, lol. I could probably make a little more if i taught the classes myself instead of going through Michaels but i would not get the discounts.
Anyone teach classes out of their homes or at others homes?
Just wanted to see how you like it?

Thanks again!

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 9

Well, this came up at an opportune moment!!

I just got a call from my Wilton Instructor and she wants me to start teaching at the local Michael's. She said to go online to Wilton and fill out their instructor form and submit pictures of my work. I'm pretty sure she said you have to have taken all three courses of Wilton Method classes.

As for the pay, she said it varies on a per person scale. 1-6 students she gets $30 per class and over 6-12 students she gets $35. But generally you can't get much more than six if that much in one class at most of the stores because their craft rooms are only so big. That's about $120 for a month (four classes per course). That is just for one class so there will be months once you get the first class moved into Course II that you'll be starting another set of students on Course I and so on as you see you can fit them into your week. Did that make sense?

I believe she said that you would technically be clocking in and out as a Michael's employee but you still have to follow Wilton's guidelines and go by their promotional schedules and such.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 9

Please also address the issue of bringing your own supplies that are used for teaching. Thank you.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 1:10am
post #9 of 9

I am an instructor at Michael's. The way it works its you get payed $30 for 1-6 students and more money the higher the amount of students that attend THE FIRST NIGHT. They pay 7.00 per hour for your time while your there. You also are required to do class demos and other events. Depending on who is planning the event will determine where you get paid from. You also get paid for any display cakes you do and that goes thru Wilton. You do need to bring ALL of your own supplies for the classes including icing especially on the first night of class. after that you use the students icing to makes sure its the correct consistency. Wilton gives a discount when you purchase items thru them and Michael's also gives you a discount. The experience has been great for me I really enjoy teaching other people how to decorate. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Paula

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%