I Still Don't Get Fondant!

Decorating By Mnhreams Updated 20 Apr 2007 , 6:46pm by MikkelPaige

Mnhreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mnhreams Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 13

SO I made the MMF and had fun making it; however, I still think the taste is overwhelming and too sugary. I know that is my opinion but I don't even really want to use it because it tastes so awful. I probably would not even like the Satin Ice. I think i will stick to buttercream and that will be my M.O. Sorry....

12 replies
momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 13

As with everything in life, if we all liked the same things, the world would not go round icon_smile.gif It's all a personal choice. I personally thought the fondant was a PITA to make, but I love the look, so I of course will do it over and over icon_smile.gif
I don't think you need to apologize, you do what works for you icon_smile.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:00am
post #3 of 13

...lol...no apologies...to each his ownicon_wink.gif
Most people dont like the taste of any fondant...most people dont wanna 'chew' their frosting...but.....most people also like the look of a fancy fondant cake thumbs_up.gif

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:01am
post #4 of 13

I have yet to use fondant for anything other than making birds and bees....lol
Don't feel bad, you can make crusting BC to look like fondant icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:09am
post #5 of 13

Hey, you're not the only one! I use fondant ONLY for molding flowers and figurines. Usually I let them harden. I like my icing to melt in my mouth the way buttercream does. I do NOT like to chew my icing! icon_biggrin.gif

lilkimberb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilkimberb Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:16am
post #6 of 13

I agree I don't like to chew my icing either. That is just not frosting. However tonight I made MMF and added Creme Bouquet to it and it really tasted good, I just don't think that I could put it on a cake and then eat it. I really just wanted to try it so that I didn't ruin a whole batch of buttercream. I just use the MMF for modeling things.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:23am
post #7 of 13

I've only used Fondant twice and I didn't get it.

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:25am
post #8 of 13

If it's just the sweetness that turns you off, try adding some lemon extract to your mmf to cut the sugar taste. icon_smile.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:30am
post #9 of 13

I actually have people who love fondant. It is something new and the look is great!

I can actually make a fondant cake faster than a buttercream cake.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:31am
post #10 of 13

I just tell people that you could eat fondant, but it is more for decoration. That is why I lay on the thick buttercream underneath it. I am experimenting with putting crisco and butter in the MMF, and it seems to improve the taste and texture, but nothing beats old fashioned frosting taste wise. However, love the look for sculptured cakes....gotta say, it is the prettiest IMO.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:31am
post #11 of 13

Nana,

I love your avatar. It look's like it's from the 50's

Angelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelgirl Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:36am
post #12 of 13

The people at my work loved MMF the first time I brought in a cake with it. I'm not crazy about the taste, but love the look of it. My BF hates crusting buttercreme, no matter what flavor I add to it. I've been meaning to try a crusting cream cheese to see if he likes it better. I can't win! haha

MikkelPaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikkelPaige Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:46pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof5kiki

I personally thought the fondant was a PITA to make, but I love the look, so I of course will do it over and over icon_smile.gif

I agree with both comments! PITA to make, but I love it so I will continue to do it! I don't have the money to buy it premade from one of the larger suppliers, and I'm not crazy about Wilton's!

I feel both your pain and satisfaction! haha thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%