Need Help With Scroll Work!!!

Decorating By ShabbyChic_Confections Updated 27 Apr 2006 , 7:54pm by ShabbyChic_Confections

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 3:19am
post #1 of 13

Hi there!! I just finished a practice cake for an upcoming wedding cake order. The bride wants scroll work and I tought it would be a piece of cake (LOL) the thing is that is not that easy, I used BC, but I'm planning ti use royal icing for the cake, the problem is that I just didn't get the results that I was expecting. You know, scrolls like you see in many books or even here, I'm just soooo uspet!! Please if someone can give me some advice and tips!
LL
LL

12 replies
dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 3:23am
post #2 of 13

it looks wonderful to me!

i've heard people say that if you hold the tip a ways away from the cake and let the icing fall into place it will produce a smoother line.

Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 3:23am
post #3 of 13

Hi!

I am not too sure how to help over the internet. I usally watch my students and help them when I see an area that I can help. Here are a few points. Once you start, commit to doing it, don't hesitate. You need a steady flow. Don't overfill your bag, this creates stress on the hands and results in uneven piping. Keep a steady pace. You can't to too slow or it never looks right. All I can say, it keep trying.

Can I ask a question, why are you using royal on the wedding cake? I always to all of my piping in buttercream. Personally, I hate to work with royal.

Good luck
Dawn

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 3:30am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdlady

Hi!

I am not too sure how to help over the internet. I usally watch my students and help them when I see an area that I can help. Here are a few points. Once you start, commit to doing it, don't hesitate. You need a steady flow. Don't overfill your bag, this creates stress on the hands and results in uneven piping. Keep a steady pace. You can't to too slow or it never looks right. All I can say, it keep trying.

Can I ask a question, why are you using royal on the wedding cake? I always to all of my piping in buttercream. Personally, I hate to work with royal.

Good luck
Dawn

I use royal icing because I like how it hardens and because I don't like the taste of BC. Thank you for your advice, I will try again tomorrow with royal and see how it comes out, then I will decide wich one looks better!!
Thanks a bunch!

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 3:38am
post #5 of 13

prop it up high enough so you are at eye level its much easier that way and don't touch the cake, it helps to put alittle gel in with your royal icing 1/2 tsp to 1/2 cup icing.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 3:40am
post #6 of 13

From a distance it looks great! You look like you just need more confidence.

Try taking a pen or pencil and practice making a scroll quickly and "flowing" until you can make the shape without hesitating. Then switch to a piping bag and practice more on wax paper. Maybe when you get used to doing the shape, you will be able to go quicker and let the icing flow, kind of like when you are writing a name or something.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 6:17am
post #7 of 13

Ah, I knew I've seen this post before... I posted this response on your other post...

I make sure the cake is eye level when I do scroll work and I only use one hand. I cut a parchment triangle in half and only use a little of icing. I hold the bag of icing between my index and middle finger and use my thumb to push the icing out. I'm basically holding the bag like a cigarette. This way my wrist is free to move as much as it needs to so I can create the scrolls.. also, once you get going do not stop until your done...The faster I go, the better my scrolls look!! I have some cakes in my gallery with scrolls.

Just practice a few more times and you'll get more comfortable with it. I think your cake is beautiful!! Thumbs Up!

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 6:59am
post #8 of 13

You can also lightly toothpick the scrolls first then go over the toothpick lining with the royal icing. I never had tried it that way, but when I toothpicked writing on a cake it actually helped alot better than freehand. Good luck!~Josie icon_smile.gif

Cakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 7:34am
post #9 of 13

The designer pattern press set from Wilton has a scroll pattern in it that you can press into the cake and then pipe over so you have something to follow. Here's the link:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D891-475A-BAC0-51DF77778B7B0CDF&fid=3E32BDAD-475A-BAC0-5EF8EA589AD96C4F

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 7:42am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakey

The designer pattern press set from Wilton has a scroll pattern in it that you can press into the cake and then pipe over so you have something to follow. Here's the link:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D891-475A-BAC0-51DF77778B7B0CDF&fid=3E32BDAD-475A-BAC0-5EF8EA589AD96C4F

Thank you all for your help!
I have all the designer pattern from wilton, I just want to do it free hand, and even with the designer press I still have a hard time folowing the design.
I guess that practice make perfect.
I will be trying some of the tips tonight!
Hope to get some sleep !icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 6:30pm
post #11 of 13

I've heard also that those really expensive LOL tilting turntables are really good for scroll work......you can tilt the cake almost on it's side and allow the icing to fall down onto the cake making for a much smoother and flowing scroll.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 7:20pm
post #12 of 13

The tilting table is great, just use your 40% coupon to help with the cost...I did!

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 7:54pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsgranny

The tilting table is great, just use your 40% coupon to help with the cost...I did!

Thank you KHalstead!! How I didn't think about that!!
I have a sellers account with Wilton, how good is that!! Going to order it right now!!
Thank you!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%