Any Advice On Gumpaste Fire/ice Roses?

Decorating By mami2sweeties Updated 26 Apr 2006 , 7:47pm by prettycake

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 7

Have any of you made what around here is called fire and ice rose? It is a white rose with pink/fushia colored tips?

How did you did you do it?

Did you use dry powder color or wet?

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 7

oooohhhh sounds gorgeous...I would imagine you can do it with petal dusts.....some people mix it with extract and paint it on...others dry brush it...guess it all depends on the look you're going for...dry brushing usually gives you a sort of blended look...where mixing it with extract you end up using it more like paint.

Jenni27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni27 Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 7

I have made these....and it was awful. My roses were gorgeous, until I came along with that brush. I used paste color mixed with a little bit of water. To be fair, though, I am not a good painter. If you have any skill at painting, they would turn out better than mine. Are they for a wedding cake?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 7

I would think you'd want to use petal dust or non-toxic chalk (grated to a very fine powder and applied using a very soft natural hair brush). It will give you a much more natural finish than painting with a mixture of dust/chalk with lemon extract. The painting method won't give you the soft natural edge for the color demarkation.

As a side note, NEVER use water to mix dusts, chalk, gel, or paste, as the water will literally MELT fondant & gumpaste. The extracts are primarily alcohol & oil giving you a medium that flows nicely but also dries rapidly--they won't melt the surface to which they are applied.

Rae

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 7

I would think you'd want to use petal dust or non-toxic chalk (grated to a very fine powder and applied using a very soft natural hair brush). It will give you a much more natural finish than painting with a mixture of dust/chalk with lemon extract. The painting method won't give you the soft natural edge for the color demarkation.

As a side note, NEVER use water to mix dusts, chalk, gel, or paste, as the water will literally MELT fondant & gumpaste. The extracts are primarily alcohol & oil giving you a medium that flows nicely but also dries rapidly--they won't melt the surface to which they are applied.

Rae

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks, I was guessing to put the color on dry. I was thinking that the wet color would not look as natural.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 7

is that same as Double Delight or LOVE ? icon_smile.gif or is that the one w/ red rose w/ white stripes ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%