Anyone Sell Cheesecakes? Price?

Decorating By mom2seven Updated 19 Apr 2007 , 4:14pm by mom2seven

mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 15

I'm trying to open a bakery and thinking about selling cheesecakes also but don't have a clue on how much people will pay for them. Does anyone here sell cheesecakes, how much do you sell them for?

TIA icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
mjw15618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjw15618 Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 15

I start a plain "New York" style cake at $20 and go from there. Chocolate, pumpkin and other flavors can go as high as $35 if there's some fancy stuff involved i.e. chocolate curls, fruit topping.

mom2seven Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw15618

I start a plain "New York" style cake at $20 and go from there. Chocolate, pumpkin and other flavors can go as high as $35 if there's some fancy stuff involved i.e. chocolate curls, fruit topping.

That's good to hear, My mom makes wonderful cheesecakes (all kinds) and I'm thinking about having her make them for the bakery but wanted to make sure there's enough profit in them for her to want to make them. I guess I need to price ingredients now.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 15

I sell a plain cheesecake for $25 and sweet potato cheesecake for $30. I make other flavors by request. These are 8 inch.

mom2seven Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 15

Oh wait, is there a way to bake these and remove them found the bottom piece of the pan so you don't have to send the bottom of the pan with the costumer?

tyty Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 15

You have to line the bottom with parchment paper. Once it sets you can slide it off the bottom of the pan onto a board. If the cheesecake is too soft you can put it in the freezer then slide onto the board.

You may have to use a spatula to loosen it from the pan.

mom2seven Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

You have to line the bottom with parchment paper. Once it sets you can slide it off the bottom of the pan onto a board. If the cheesecake is too soft you can put it in the freezer then slide onto the board.

You may have to use a spatula to loosen it from the pan.

Thank you, I just knew there would be a good way to do this. thumbs_up.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 15

Mine are usually around $20 and up depending on the flavor and how much it costs me to make them.

mom2seven Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 15

Anyone have a ballpark on what is COST you to make them?

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 15

I used the cake matrix from here and changed it to create a "cheesecake matrix" for myself for when I do wedding cheesecakes.

I don't know what it would cost *you* to make them, but you could simply write down ingredient costs for each ingredient in one recipe, your time x your hourly wage, etc., and you'd have a starting point.

I charge $4.00 a serving for cheesecake, but I only do them as wedding cakes, not bakery cakes.

You can also bake cheesecakes with a plain or foil-wrapped cardboard round right IN the springform under the cake, which makes it a snap to take them out and serve them. icon_smile.gif The plain boards tend to soak up a ton of grease though, from the butter in the crust, so I switched to wrapped and LOVE it.

tyty Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2seven

Anyone have a ballpark on what is COST you to make them?

Most recipe's call for 2-3 packs of cream cheese which I buy for 79-89 cents.
3 eggs
heavy cream $3.69 quart. (the recipe's I use you only need one cup)
or sour cream 79-89 cents.

1 cup sugar $4.89 10 lbs.

tsp vanilla, tsp lemon extract

for the crust I use crushed vanilla waffers $1.00 (need 1/2 box) 2 tbs conf sugar, 2 tsp nutmeg, 2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 stick butter (2.29 lb.)

The parchment paper is about $2.69 per roll. I trace the bottom of pan and make parchment circles( don't know how many I can get from a roll because I use it for other things.)

This is just the basic cheesecake

tyty Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:57pm
post #12 of 15

Homecook, I like that tip about the foil wrapped board. I'll have to use that one.

mom2seven Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:58pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook

I used the cake matrix from here and changed it to create a "cheesecake matrix" for myself for when I do wedding cheesecakes.

I don't know what it would cost *you* to make them, but you could simply write down ingredient costs for each ingredient in one recipe, your time x your hourly wage, etc., and you'd have a starting point.

I charge $4.00 a serving for cheesecake, but I only do them as wedding cakes, not bakery cakes.

You can also bake cheesecakes with a plain or foil-wrapped cardboard round right IN the springform under the cake, which makes it a snap to take them out and serve them. icon_smile.gif The plain boards tend to soak up a ton of grease though, from the butter in the crust, so I switched to wrapped and LOVE it.

Thank you, I can't get the price matrix to open on my computer (I have a mac and it doesn't have Excel on it yet). icon_rolleyes.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 4:07pm
post #14 of 15

I just did the math, and if I buy Costco butter and cream cheese for .80 and .85 each, I'm at about $13.50+ with boards and use of pans, etc., according to my matrix. Not counting my time...

If I buy butter and cream cheese anywhere else for the usual $1.12-1.98 each that they cost, I'm at like $17.00 cost before time.

hth

mom2seven Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 4:14pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook

I just did the math, and if I buy Costco butter and cream cheese for .80 and .85 each, I'm at about $13.50+ with boards and use of pans, etc., according to my matrix. Not counting my time...

If I buy butter and cream cheese anywhere else for the usual $1.12-1.98 each that they cost, I'm at like $17.00 cost before time.

hth

Thank you, I shop at Sam's (about the same prices).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%