How Long Can You Freeze Buttercream Before Flavor Changes?

Decorating By elvis Updated 26 Apr 2006 , 2:49am by cakefairy18

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 6

Hi-- For the first time, I've got 5 cakes to do in a 2 day span coming up pretty soon. A lot of you do this all the time but for me, its making me a little anxious! icon_eek.gif

I will need a huge amount of buttercream, so is it okay to start making it more than a few days in advance? If so, do I freeze or refrigerate? I use all butter buttercream with a few T heavy cream if that makes a difference.

And for future reference, can I make loads of buttercream and it still taste okay after being frozen a couple of weeks?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!! I've still got a lot of learning to do! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 12:45am
post #2 of 6

I don't use all-butter buttercream, so I can't really help you with its stability.

But....one of the best things I ever bought was the Food Saver machine. It sucks all the air out of a plastic bag and then seals the contents. I freeze buttercream in those bags. And I place fondant in them for storing in the pantry. The thing is worth its weight in gold for cake decorators! I figure my sealed up buttercream can stay in the freezer probably for years. Not that it would....

For anybody who might find herself freezing icings, I highly recommend looking into getting one. They're really getting affordable.

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 12:50am
post #3 of 6

ok this is a bit off topic but I bought one of those machines and it is sitting in the closet! I can't figure out how to use it!!

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 12:52am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

I don't use all-butter buttercream, so I can't really help you with its stability.

But....one of the best things I ever bought was the Food Saver machine. It sucks all the air out of a plastic bag and then seals the contents. I freeze buttercream in those bags. And I place fondant in them for storing in the pantry. The thing is worth its weight in gold for cake decorators! I figure my sealed up buttercream can stay in the freezer probably for years. Not that it would....

For anybody who might find herself freezing icings, I highly recommend looking into getting one. They're really getting affordable.

omg i have one of those machines and never even thought of using it for fondant and buttercream. Will be doing so from now on though! THANK YOU !

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 2:45am
post #5 of 6

Ya'll are too funny! :O) -- But until I get one of those machines... I'm still left with my dilemma. Is there anyone else out there who freezes? If not, I guess I'll do a little experimenting. icon_wink.gif

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 2:49am
post #6 of 6

Freezing is fine...i do it all the time, leftovers, in the freezer...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%