Made Imbc For The First Time Today And......

Decorating By rlsaxe Updated 19 Apr 2007 , 4:56am by Sugarbunz

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:56am
post #1 of 12

ICK! I DID NOT LIKE IT! And what a pain in the butt to make too! Boil this, whip that! Peaks here, sugar crystals there! This has got to be the buttercream for type A personalities!
And then.....when it was finally done (an hour later....ok not really, just kidding).....I hated the taste. I made it hoping to find something less sweet than all the other powdered sugar BC's, but ick.....I really don't like this stuff. Tastes like butter (hmmm...maybe because it IS butter!).

Anyway.....why do people like this so much? I'm sticking with BC dream and adding my popcorn salt to cut down on the sweetness!

11 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:07am
post #2 of 12

Different strokes for different folks. icon_lol.gif

Here's a multi-linked less sweet frosting thread:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-169691-.html

You might want to explore the world of hi-ratio shortening based frosting:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-219731-.html

Good luck on your quest. thumbs_up.gif

rlsaxe Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:12am
post #3 of 12

thanks. I'll definitely check those out.
Although I didn't like the end result....I always enjoy the process of trying something new.

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:12am
post #4 of 12

rlsaxe, I agree! I have made IMBC and it does not taste good. It's like eating a stick of butter, IMO.
I posted my recipe for buttercream on this site. It uses less powd. sugar per fat and also adds a bit of flour to cut the sweetness. Here is the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2523-35-Julies-Less-Sweet-Buttercream-Frosting.html

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:14am
post #5 of 12

You can always add more sugar and/or flavorings but yes, it is a more buttery icing than american buttercream. If it was the procedure that troubled you, try SMBC. Same ingredients, no boiling sugar icon_smile.gif

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:15am
post #6 of 12

Awww... that's too bad... most people like the flavor of butter and the melt in your mouth buttercreams! I haven't tried IMBC, but I love my Chocolate buttercream!

For me, I just don't like the idea of using salt to "trick" the tongue... which is weird because I LOVE salty sweet foods like Reeses and popcorn with M&Ms and trailmix with nuts and chocolate, but the idea of salt in my buttercream just sounds bad (and I've never even tried it!) LOL

Melissa

rlsaxe Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:20am
post #7 of 12

Melissa, I hear you about the salt in the BC's. The first time I added it, I didn't have popcorn salt, (which is so much finer in grain)...and I could totally tell there was salt in it. When I tried the popcorn salt next, it was markedly better. But you're right....something about adding salt doesn't feel right. I'm gonna try jdelectables recipe with the added flour to cut on sweetness. That's a great idea.
Thanks for that infor Jdelectables!

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:30am
post #8 of 12

I hope you like it! Let me know.

Julie

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:30am
post #9 of 12

instead of using salt in the regular buttercream, try adding a stick of salted butter. no undisolved salt crystals to worry about and it may not seem so strange.

i tried imbc a couple weeks ago and had a slight dislike for it too... thats ok, because i prefer to slap everything with a bit of ganache anyway!

rlsaxe Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:31am
post #10 of 12

also......after the IMBC incident....I bought a few store bought icings...just to take home and taste test and see how they compare.
Holy cow, those things are NASTY!
I even met my 6 year old daughter taste test each of the four icings I bought (betty crocker, I think). She hated two and didn't care for the other two. But when I say hated....the child spit it out of her mouth. I then went to the fridge and gave her a small spoonful of BC dream to clear her palette. She LOVES BC dream!

Oh yeah....she hated the IMBC too! (but she IS a kid!)

rlsaxe Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:32am
post #11 of 12

yes, using more salted butter would make sense huh?

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 4:56am
post #12 of 12

I am sooo glad to see others not liking it. For me it wasn't the buttery taste, it was the "whipped" feeling of it. I don't like whipped icings, and I am not a huge fan of meringue etither. I thought there was something wrong with me for not liking it after seeing all the rave reviews! I did buy a package of pasteurized egg whites (I used reconstituted powder before), so that I can try it again this week and see if I have a different conclusion on the stuff!

Then again, I see nothing wrong with plain ole powdered sugar buttercream either. I guess it just depends on your tastes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%