Wedding Cake Next Weekend.........i'm Terrified!

Decorating By kchart Updated 18 Apr 2007 , 10:03pm by kchart

kchart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kchart Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 9

So, my first wedding cake is next weekend and i'm allready going nuts! I hope it turns out ok. anyway, I am also in the wedding. It's going to be a 4 tier stacked cake, simple design, just ribbon, dots and fresh roses on top. It will be all white cake, buttercream icing, no filling. I want to know how early i can make it. I also have to do several sheet cakes so there will be plenty of cake. i would like to start baking on tuesday, decorate wednesday and thursday (since friday i have the rehearsal and other things to do). will all that cake be ok? i don't have a fridge or freezer big enough to hold all that cake. can i just box it and leave it on the counter? I'm not picking up the fresh roses until the morning of the wedding so i don't have to worry about them wilting. i don't know, but i'd like to give myself the extra time in case things go terribly wrong. all thoughts are much appreciated. thanks!

kasie

8 replies
Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 9

No filling...? icon_confused.gif ok...

You're probably fine with that timetable, or you could bake now and freeze as many of them as possible. That would cut down on last-minute baking stress, especially if you're doing four tiers AND sheet cakes.

Save yourself time now. Try to think of EVERYthing you could do early:

1. You can cut the ribbon and wax paper (if using) now. Make sure to cut extra length and don't forget to include the additional circumference of the cakes with icing (did that once). Make sure you have scotch tape to secure the ribbon.
2. You could make the icing early and freeze or refrigerate that, too.
3. Stock up on cake boards.
4. You can do your board wrapping (fancifoil or whatever) now if you're wrapping boards, or any other prep for the base/separator setup.
5. Make sure you have all the dowels you'll need.
6. You could even cut the parchment circles for the pans, if you use it.
7. Make a list of ingredients you'll need for the whole setup, and make sure you have everything on hand (plus extra).
8. If really crunched for time and if you're baking from scratch, you could mix the dry ingredients for the recipes and put them in ziplocs, well-marked.

Plan for extra time in case something goes even slightly wrong (it usually will), give yourself time to enjoy doing it without being rushed.

mho

sweetness11379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness11379 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 9

Wow! Congratulations first of all. I imagine you'll be fine with decorating them by Thursday. Its not the most ideal situation being that you are IN the wedding. That sounds like the best plan. Make sure to write down or pack everything up that you'll need to bring with you cause I know that my brain gets all scrambled the day of and you don't want to forget anything. The more you plan ahead the better you'll be the day of. Good luck!

kchart Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 9

homecook......just buttercream in between the layers (sorry i just meant no filling like pudding or jam or something)

so boxing and leaving on the counter for a few days before????? that'll be ok? cake or icing won't go bad? i suppose i could fit the actual tiers in the fridge since they'll be separate until i assemble on site, but the sheet cakes, they'll be ok just out?

thanks for the advice, i've been sitting here making lists for the past hour!!!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 9

The longest I've ever left boxed finished cakes out is overnight, but then I leave our personal at-home cakes out (under cake savers) for days and days, and they taste fine. I fridge all of mine, so maybe someone else will know that part.

CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 9

Hey there! I am making a wedding cake next month and I have the same problem as you. I have to bake my cakes on Tuesday and Decorate them on Wednesday and the Wedding isn't until Saturday. I did my practice one last week... I made sure that I did it exactly how it was going to be... I baked on Tuesday... Decorated on Wednesday... and then I waited until Saturday to taste it... it was absolutely fine! I fed it too some other people as well and they said it tasted great. So, if you are not using perishable things I would not worry about it too much. I iced it in BC and then put fondant over that. So, I think that you should be fine. I hope that eases a little bit of anxiety! icon_biggrin.gif

CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 9

P.S. I never put it in the fridge... I just covered it with saran wrap once everything was set up.

Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 9

I am also limited on freezer and fridge space and have done cakes in that time frame and they tasted fine. Good luck and post some pics when you're finished!! thumbs_up.gif

kchart Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 9

thanks so much for the help, i feel a little better about leaving them out now. i am really soooo nervous, i'm afraid i may have an anxiety attack next week! to make matters worse i can't get into the reception hall until 11am mornnig of wed. well since i'm a bridesmaid i have to be at the church by noon!!!! dressed and ready. oh gosh, i'll be sure to bring a vomit bag with me! anywya, thanks again and i'll definately post pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%