Painting On Fondant: Does It Have A Taste?

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 23 Apr 2006 , 6:34pm by ShyannAutumn

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 2:09am
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if you mix a lot of color with just a little acohol to get a dark color, does it product any kind of taste on the fondant?

6 replies
ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 2:20am
post #2 of 7

I've never experienced a different flavor. It doesn't take as much tint to get it as dark as you might think either. I say paint away!!!!
elly =o)

ShyannAutumn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShyannAutumn Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 5:05am
post #3 of 7

lorismom, if you were talking about paint directly onto the fondant, yes some colors will have a taste especially the black. It will make lock your jaws with bitter. I am not sure about the Americolor. My cake instructor uses americolor and she has commented on the bitterness of some, especially the black.

I use Wilton gel's to paint on the fondant. If this is your question, painting directly on the fondant, what I do is delute the color gel with a few drops of liquid sugar and mix it before I add the vodka/everclear. (what ever I am using at the time) The bitter taste is still there but much easier on the pallet. The alcohol really does nothing but dry the gels quicker. When adding the liquid sugar the drying time is still the same with the vodka and the kids I have given my cookies too have commented that the cookies were better tasting then before. but yes, no matter what amount you may use you can still get the same bitter taste. MO

If this wasn't your questions I apologize..... I am up too late icon_wink.gif
Hope it helps.

Shyann

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 8:49am
post #4 of 7

If you use lustre dust mixed with alcohol it doesn't leave a taste

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 10:10am
post #5 of 7

thanks Autumn, this helps me out a bunch, too!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for your help! I usually use MMF, but I had some wilton fondant I used to form some shapes, and painted them...the wilton fondant is so nasty tasting, I hope this doesn't turn out too bitter (I use Lucks colors).

I never use water on fondant, as it breaks down the fondant. Can you add a little maybe powdered sugar to the vodka? Or do you use a specail sugar water?

I also noticed the dust is tasteless..I wonder if I should just use dust for all my painting..

ShyannAutumn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShyannAutumn Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

Can you add a little maybe powdered sugar to the vodka?

I never tried it before but you might be able to do that too. You might try adding the vodka with your color then add the sugar to the color. I am unsure of the results it might lighten it a little bit depending on the amount you use. That is why I use the liquid sugar, it's clear. The sugar I am speaking of is in the coffee section of your grocery store. It's not expensive and it lasts for ever. A few drops is all it takes.

Another suggestion is you might want to use cocoa butter. You can color it with food coloring and you can get the same paintable results. It's more expensive and I don't like using it on the wrapped cookies since it doesn't dry very fast. It tends to be sticky and it will smear. For your cakes it would be just as great if not tasty.

No offense to the ones using the dust to paint with but I tried that and it seems the expense and the amount I need is what keeps me with the gels. The Dust is beautiful but I will only use it in very small areas if I paint with it.

Fondant? I will never go back to the Wilton's even if I am desperate. icon_lol.gif After I found the recipe for MMF in these forums you can count me as a stubborn die hard MMF addict. I love it when I see people actually eating the MMF on the things I make. I always hated telling people to remove the Wilton's because of the taste. It embarassed me and as I once said it made feel like the customer was wondering what else tasted bad. Just think the small little cut outs you make wouldn't go into the trash but another wonder surprise from your cakes. icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:

thanks Autumn, this helps me out a bunch, too!

Your welcome pink, I have learned so much from all of you on these forums it feels great to give something back.

Happy Painting!

Shyann

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%