What Do You Do?

Decorating By Caligrl Updated 30 Apr 2005 , 6:33pm by Caligrl

Caligrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caligrl Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 7:13am
post #1 of 4

Hey Everybody,
How's you week going? I have a few quick questions. The first one is, for a 11x15 sheet cake with a football cake on top made from Wiltons pan, how much do you charge? It's a boxed cake with buttercream. This cake is going to be a little more simpler than others I've done. I understand that prices vary from town to town but I need some guide lines. Do you charge for the cost then a certain % on top of that? Or do you look at the current prices at your local bakers and decide from there?

I was also wondering if any of you have tried to fit, as good as possible, baking strips around the Wilton football pan? This will be my first time using this pan. I always use the baking strips on my other pans because they make my cakes come out almost perfect.

Thanx for all the help.
AMY

3 replies
momofmoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momofmoms Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 7:23am
post #2 of 4

If you wanted to be competitive then I would imagine you should look at what bakeries around your area are charging... there will always be the penny pincher out there that will want that extra 5 dollars off, I would start there, and then add an additional 20 (at least) for the football. Then I would think that you could feel comfortable enough to say charge the amount the bakery charges for the 11x15 plus a little extra for the additional cake on top. This way you could say, something like I have compared prices around here, so I am sure to make you a decent offer.
I am sure the person will be appreciative.

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 7:52am
post #3 of 4

Thats what I do for sheet cakes....I charge about 5.00 of the Bakery price.... so that I get the job....but I dont get much of these lately....because it seems that parents just want to out do each other so Lately its like creating....monuments.....and these are alot more.... because they usually take alot of time

Caligrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caligrl Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for your suggestions. Today I plan on doing some bakery browsing to see the local prices as you suggested.
thank you again,
Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%