Call Me Stupid But,

Decorating By mommicakes Updated 17 Jun 2007 , 3:46pm by all4cake

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 13

could someone out there help explain something to me? icon_redface.gif I need to know what the difference is between buttercream icing and confectioners sugar frosting? Someone has asked me to make icing for a cake but not the regular buttercream frosting that you can taste the butter in. icon_confused.gif I thought these were the same. Am I wrong? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanx.

12 replies
golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 13

It's possible that they are referring to a meringue based buttercream (true buttercream)l but they could just be referring to an all-butter frosting using confectioner's sugar. The meringue based BC's are much less sweet and not gritty like confectioner's sugar based BC's tend to be.

mommicakes Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 13

This person said she didn't like the butter flavor of buttercream, and the conf. sugar frosting didn't taste like butter. I guess I will have to try both of them and compare the differences. icon_confused.gif

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 13

She's probably talking about the all Crisco frosting.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 13

In pastry school, we called all egg based icings "buttercream". All of the variations of powdered sugar frosting are correctly called " decorators icing". I found it quite confusing when I would talk to Wilton method trained people who insisted on calling water,shortening, and powdered sugar buttercream.

My guess is that you client wants some version of decorators icing, or perhaps even something like rich's bettercream.

mommicakes Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 13

txkat: thanks for some clairification. is there a recipie for the richs bettercreme or do you know where I might be able to find some?

Thanks a lot.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 13

Rich's bettercream is a commercial product that makes a very fluffy non-dairy frosting. I have heard of people getting it at Sam's Club or a Cash n Carry. The few times I've needed it, I ordered it from Sysco ( a large restaurant wholesaler)

mommicakes Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 13

thanks txkat, I don't have a Sams Club close by, but I will contact Sysco. I'm sure now I know where to start looking, I can find it. Maybe BJ's or Costco might carry it? Thanks.

SweetObsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetObsession Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 6:29am
post #9 of 13

Hi, Mommicakes. I'm new here and realize I'm a bit late to this discussion, but just in case it might help ... icon_smile.gif
It's possible the person was talking about something like "snow white buttercream". Wilton has a recipe for it and it calls for meringue powder. I'm lucky enough to have a small cake store in town that sells the base premade and all I have to add is shortening, flavoring, powdered sugar and water. I'm fairly new to decorating and have used it on cakes that I've made. It's more fluffy than creamy, tints well, holds up extremely well, is wonderful for roses that stay 'toothsome', but does get a bit grainy or crusty on top as it sits. People seem to like it and it looks great on the cake, but to be honest, I've tasted better.
I recently bought a 15# prewhipped tub of Rich's Bettercreme from the bakery at Sam's Club ($22) and just tried it tonight on a Father's Day cake. It's great to work with, but will get very sticky and gummy if the cake is left out for long.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 10:52am
post #10 of 13

Ok...JMO (please nobody stomp me LOL) but...if she doesn't want the butter flavor don't use the IMBC because doesn't that taste like a mouthful of butter? I think what she is wanting is a all shortening based icing. Made with vanilla and probably the almond extract. Doesn't taste like butter and IMO has a great taste, you can use the high ratio shortening and a precreamed shortening to get that no grease feeling in your mouth icon_smile.gif . Hope you find the one she wants.

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Ok...JMO (please nobody stomp me LOL) but...if she doesn't want the butter flavor don't use the IMBC because doesn't that taste like a mouthful of butter? I think what she is wanting is a all shortening based icing. Made with vanilla and probably the almond extract. Doesn't taste like butter and IMO has a great taste, you can use the high ratio shortening and a precreamed shortening to get that no grease feeling in your mouth icon_smile.gif . Hope you find the one she wants.

I am new to all this could you explain how do you get that "no grease" feeling in your mouth? I don't know what I'm doing but sometimes I get it sometimes I don't.
Oh, and I also think she probably is refering to an all shortning bases icing. icon_smile.gif

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 3:24pm
post #12 of 13

Could she be talking about a vanilla glaze? A lot of people used to refer to it as "Vanilla Icing"
Vanilla Icing or Glaze
2 Cups powdered sugar (sifted)
1 1/2 tablespoon butter (softened)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 to 4 tablespoons milk

Combine all icing ingredients in small mixing bowl. Stir until smooth and well blended. Adjust for spreading consistency if necessary, adding more milk or more powdered sugar. Spread icing or drizzle on warm cookies or pound cake.

I just made this the other day for some pound cake-it came out kind of thick & white, and doesn't taste like butter, but does taste good. I don't know about decorating with it though, but I'm sure some of the others will have ideas. You could always whip up a batch and play around with it.

Good Luck
Gail

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 13

I would say she didn't want the IMBC or SMBC but regular ol' shortening based buttercream with no butter in it but more vanilla-y flavored

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%