Ever Call A Client Out Of Curiosity???

Business By noosie Updated 18 Apr 2007 , 10:57pm by sarahnichole975

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 21

A new client that found me online picked up a cake this past Saturday. I have yet to hear anything re: the cake. I am sooooo curious what they thought. Has anyone ever called a client to get opinion on their cake? Is it cheesy to do that??? Unfortunately I only have a phone number. If I had an e-mail I wouldn't feel awkward sending a followup mail. Is no news good news??? Or did her husband tell her I told you so! icon_redface.gif Right now I would appreciate any criticism re: my cakes good or bad. There is always room for improvement I guess. Thnx.

20 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 21

I don't think I would make a phone call - no news is probably good news. On all wedding cake orders tho, I do send an email survey. This way I know if they liked it or not and they usually add a blurb at the end that I can use for my testimonials.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 21

I don't like to call either. May be is true no news are good news.

KoryAK: Do you send like a sheetspread (Excel) to answer or just an email with the questions? I've been meaning to do so, but don't know exaclty how.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 21

This is what I send. I have it saved in Word and I just cut and paste it into an email and make any changes I may need for that particular client.

Please contact me to arrange the return of your equipment deposit.

Customer satisfaction is very important to us. Thank you for taking the time to fill out this brief survey to help us make sure we are continuing to provide excellent service.

Please rate each item on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being lowest.

The ordering process:

Was I prompt and informative at our face-to-face meeting(s)?

Were the samples adequate for you to get an idea of the product that I provide?

Were the subsequent phone and email conversations helpful?

Did you feel there was open communication? That I was receptive to your ideas?

Did I provide the correct amount of ideas and guidance without being overbearing?

The Product:

Do you feel that I accurately interpreted your needs and wishes and provided the product that you ordered?

Please rate the look of your cake

Please rate the taste of your cake

Would you recommend me to a friend?

Comments:

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 21

I don't see anything wrong with a follow-up call. Just tell her that you were wondering if the cake met her expectations and let her know that you appreciate her business.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 21

Thanks KoryAK. I'm going to start working on it.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 21

As a matter of fact, I go out of my way to call new clients. I always give them a call the week after. Typically I say something along the lines of, "Hey, I just like to call all of my new clients, even though I never doubt a cake, but I like to check and make sure everything was satisfactory." They are always pleased with the cake and are typically quite tickled that I call to make sure.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:08pm
post #8 of 21

Here is my philosophy: CALL!!

I always call......I ask if the client was happy with the cake, and how it went over. Then I tell them that if they need anything else, just let me know, and thanks for the business.

It is called customer service............it is a good thing.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:10pm
post #9 of 21

I have called to follow up and make sure a client was pleased. I don't do it for every order. I have always gotten a favorable response from the phone call, customers seem to appreciate that I care enough to make sure they were satisfied.

I don't see anything wrong with calling. Just a quick " I just wanted to make sure everything was to your satisfaction." With the poor customer service we all experience a nice gesture goes a long way. icon_smile.gif

Hope they have nothing but great things to say! thumbs_up.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 21

I'd call...ask how the event went and if she was pleased with the cake. Go for it. I think that it would make her feel comfortable ordering from you again because she would feel you care and she's not just "another cake order".

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:30pm
post #11 of 21

Noosie- your cakes in your photos look great! I'm sure they were happy with the cake! I used to wonder about this too but not so much anymore.

I'm one of those people who doesn't like to be called by the bank or the car dealership, etc. to see how I liked my service. And to me, that kind of falls into that category. Other people, I understand really like this. If its going to drive you crazy, call. If not, drop them a little note if you've got the address...or just wait until their next order icon_smile.gif

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:31pm
post #12 of 21

I don't usually make a phone call. But I do have comment cards that I send with the cake when being delivered. I have preprinted envelopes with paid postage so that all they have to do is fill it out and drop it in the mail. I also gather other info from my clients so that I don't forget an anniversary or birthday of the names they supply me with. If I don't receive an email or a call, I get a card. There's may be a great reaction from the consumer when they receive their cake or I may receive an email or just another referral from that order. Sometimes they call me.
Don't see anything wrong with a follow up call if you choose to do so though.

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 10:39pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis

I'm one of those people who doesn't like to be called by the bank or the car dealership, etc. to see how I liked my service. And to me, that kind of falls into that category. Other people, I understand really like this. If its going to drive you crazy, call. If not, drop them a little note if you've got the address...or just wait until their next order icon_smile.gif

This is so true. I don't really mind people calling me about their service but they have to catch me on the phone 1st. LOL. But some people don't like it and I feel Elvis. And then there's those I would rather not ever talk to again. ha ha ha ha ha

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 11:50pm
post #14 of 21

I think it is polite to call-good customer service! They will know that quality is important to you, and in a world where everything seems so hurried and mass produced, they might like the attention and time you took to make sure they were satisfied.

noosie Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:19pm
post #15 of 21

I just wanted to thank you all for your advice regarding this topic. I called the client this morning and left a very brief message if the cake was to her specifications and hoped it was a wonderfull birthday celebration. She just left me message saying thet the entire family really enjoyed the cake and looks forward to using me again. Outside of family and friends, this was my 2nd paying custom cake order. The curiosity was really getting the better of me so I am glad I called + if there was anything wrong I would want to know right away in order to improve it. Thanks again. I cannot even begin to tell you how lucky I am to have stumbled across this website.

"It's like I finally found people who speak my language!!! WooooHooooo!!!"
party.gificon_biggrin.gifparty.gificon_biggrin.gif

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:34pm
post #16 of 21

I call all my customers! They actually like that I call them back to see how everything went. I actually found out that a 3d cake started to lean, she wasn't even going to tell me, but since I called she did. If I don't know something went wrong, I won't know how to fix it the next time.

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:35pm
post #17 of 21

Yeah!!! i'm so glad they loved it. Was it the cutie patootie Elmo cake??? Soooo cute!!! I agree, it is great customer service. I like to check in with clients too!

noosie Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:47pm
post #18 of 21

Thanks Lisa (mommyedzards)!!! Yes it was the elmo cake. Now I can focus my efforts on an upcoming 3D Pikachu cake. It's funny when I first began I was always dreading the first request for a character cake!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 8:53pm
post #19 of 21

I'm glad you got good feedback, always makes you feel you have done your job well.

I usually wait for the customer to call, which is about a week later or never. I think I will take that advice and just call the customer. Then I will sleep better.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 9:01pm
post #20 of 21

I never call either, because I'm one who doesn't like to be called (plus, I'm a wimp, and I'd hate for some bride to chew me out a week later because of this, that, or whatever...Since I'm my own worst critic, I dream up all kinds of things that *could've* gone wrong, lol).

I love the email survey idea. I think I'll use that, if you don't mind, because I'm always dying to hear some feedback, but I basically never get any. No thank you note, no testimonial note, nothing. icon_confused.gif

Thanks!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 10:57pm
post #21 of 21

Yay noosie!!! I knew it would turn out like this for you! But it feels good and boosts your confidence when you hear it! And I agree with momof4, I'll rack my brain thinking of what could have gone wrong. And if something is wrong, I want to know for future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%