Which Icing???

Baking By isakov1 Updated 28 Apr 2006 , 7:27pm by prettycake

isakov1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isakov1 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 9

Ok everyone. I'm thinking about making the no fail sugar cookies and I'm debating which icing to use. I've looked through the forums and I'm still not sure which one will win...

I've made Antonias icing before and that is great to work with but its too much. It seemed to make a thick layer on top of the cookie and then when I added details they were too sweet.....

I need an icing that i can decorate with too....pipe little flowers...details etc. but not TOO sweet....

Is it alice's or Tobas or is there something else.....(except for rolled buttercream, I made that too. - kind of greasy.)

TIA
Cindy

8 replies
sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 9

what cover the cooke in fondant and then pipe the decos you want in Royal??

my husband loves the cookies like this!

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 9

here's you a *bump* - sorry I can't be more help, I always use antonia's recipe and love it.

ASupergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASupergirl Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 12:13am
post #4 of 9

Crusting buttercream maybe?? I've never used it myself; I always just use a straight buttercream on my cookies and they turn out great!! and they crust pretty well- great to stack as well. Not sure if that would work for you- could crush the flowers.

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 12:21am
post #5 of 9

If you do not want a lot of icing, another option is to color the dough and then use icing just for the details. It works well for things like flowers -though personally I am more of a purist and prefer white (light yellow?) sugar cookies!

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 12:38am
post #6 of 9

isakov1--
I'm in the same boat! I'm looking for a "not too sweet, not too greasy, but still able to decorate with, too" icing. I can't offer any advice because I still haven't found one yet. I want to try an IMBC or a SMBC this weekend if I have time to see if those will work. I love the way the others look, but they are just too sweet for us.

isakov1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isakov1 Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 2:10am
post #7 of 9

I really enjoy making cookies and the first time I tried they worked out well but I like it when they get eaten too!!

Antonias icing is great to work with and it looks great but the covering layer that I put on the cookies seemed a bit thick plus when I added the decorations whoa...sweet city! I liked them but I couldn't eat too many....

chriscrites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chriscrites Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 9

I made a batch of the Alice's Cookie Frosting last night for the 3 or 4th time in recent weeks. I LOVE it-It is wonderful tasting-dosen't have that overly sugary taste. Paired with the No-fail recipe I think is wonderful-everyone loves the taste! That being said...when it is thicker and used for details-it dries nicely overnight but the "flooded" part of the cookies take longer...try a batch of it and I think you will like it. It also dries nice and shiny! (I have never tried the Antonia74 recipe so I, unfortunately, can't compare it for you).

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 9

I always use Fondant to ice my cookies..and I will always do it this way..
NO mess, NO piping, NO waiting, and always comes out perfect..like the ones I have in MY PHOTOS, w/ Gold decorations and the Calla Lilies and White Ribbons.. I'm a happy camper w/ Fondant icing on my cookies. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%