Finally!

Decorating By bekahd Updated 22 Apr 2006 , 3:06pm by Schmoop

bekahd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahd Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 30

Thanks a million EVERYONE who helped me through all the hiccups on my way to delivery of my first ever paid cake! Especially SquirrelyCakes and sugarshack. You guys are like my cake gurus now. icon_biggrin.gif It was for the baby shower for my husband's boss's administrative assistant (uh, got that?). She decorated the baby's room in the John Lennon baby pattern, so I took my inspiration from that. I'm thrilled with it, but would love everyone's honest feedback as I know I've still got a LOT to learn.

TIA for any advice,
Bekah

Oh, question, if this makes it as an attachment, will it automatically upload to my photos, or do I have to do that separately? told you I was a total novice icon_rolleyes.gif
LL

29 replies
patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 30

Wow! That's a cake?? It looks so good, it looks fake! Everything is perfect, great job!

lainee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainee Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 30

Your cake looks amazing. Absolutely beautiful. Have you gotten feedback from the administrative assistant yet? I know everyone, must have loved it. The flavor combinations sound yummy too.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 30

Stunning couldn't believe it was a cake well done good job.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekahd

Oh, question, if this makes it as an attachment, will it automatically upload to my photos, or do I have to do that separately? told you I was a total novice icon_rolleyes.gif

You would have to also upload it to the gallery for it to appear in your photos.

It's an amazing cake!!! Great job thumbs_up.gif

craftst3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftst3 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:19am
post #6 of 30

Great job! Your cake looks great and I love the design and the colors.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:24am
post #7 of 30

Awesome!!! I hope you charged well for it!

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:32am
post #8 of 30

Just WOW!

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:36am
post #9 of 30

WOW! Amazing.

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:47am
post #10 of 30

um....eewwhh....whatever...
perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(im jealous) icon_smile.gif

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:49am
post #11 of 30

Adorable!! Are the animals Chocolate Transfers? They are really cute.

Cindy

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:49am
post #12 of 30

You really did an awesome job with this!! You know you've done well when people have to look twice and then still think 'That's cake?!' lol icon_lol.gif It really does look like boxes....great work! thumbs_up.gif

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:51am
post #13 of 30

Wow, what an awesome cake!!!!!!!!!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 1:59am
post #14 of 30

What a fantastic job! How did you make the box tops?

deb

xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 2:13am
post #15 of 30

I have my baby boy's room in the same pattern-my hubby's a huge Beatles fan. Anyway, how did you do the animals?? Everything's perfect!! Great job!

bekahd Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 2:19am
post #16 of 30

Yes, animals, sun, and palm tree are Chocolate Transfers. Box tops are just panels of MMF dried and applied to the top and sides of fondant covered squares. Then I filled in the seams with matching color Royal. I think sugarshack has some instructions on this. I got the idea from her cakes.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=favpics&cat=0&pos=-28494 she explains her technique in the comments. I did have to figure out what measurements and widths to use myself. Maybe a tutorial is in order, sugarshack? If you're reading???
Finally, though it did take me all week to get all the elements of this cake together, I deliberately undercharged the lady who held the shower. My reasoning was that she gave me my first opportunity to make a commissioned cake. For me just doing that at all was a HUGE psychological hurdle, and I let her know she was taking a bit of a gamble using me. She still trusted me to do it, so I figured she deserved to get some sort of discount for that.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 2:58am
post #17 of 30

Your cake is absolutely precious and just perfect. You did an excellent job. I love that whole theme!!!

Angie

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 3:05am
post #18 of 30

Gorgeous!! They must have been thrilled with this cake!!

pinkflamingo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflamingo Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 3:10am
post #19 of 30

Amazing cake!
What are chocolate transfers?

yassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yassy Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 8:09am
post #20 of 30

the cake looks wonderful.Looks like your on your way to plenty more commissioned cakes.
well done thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 10:21am
post #21 of 30

your cake is AWESOME!!! - can't wait to see what you whip out next!

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 2:20pm
post #22 of 30

What a great cake! I love the box top. Looks so real.

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 2:23pm
post #23 of 30

OMG!! That cake is perfect!! Your icing is flawless, the animals are way to cute, the colors are wonderful!! You should have the orders flying in now!!

Awesome job!!!

kkhigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkhigh Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 4:55pm
post #24 of 30

fantastic job! you should be very proud! i am curious to know how these cakes are served...do you remove the lid before cutting?

BayouGatorFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BayouGatorFan Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 5:00pm
post #25 of 30

Stunning cake! I love the colors! Your animals are awesome and the boxes look fantastic. Maybe YOU should do the tutorial. icon_smile.gif

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 6:19pm
post #26 of 30

just wanted to add and acknowledge how talented you are - wonderful job!

bekahd Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 3:12am
post #27 of 30

hi, pinkflamingo! The CT stuff I got from SquirrellyCakes, it's under the How Do I tutorials. Here's the link she sent me:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13945&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Really kinda fun to do. My 5-yr-old was sketching her own "animals" so I would make some just for her. icon_razz.gif

GatorFan I just joined the forum in March, and would have NO idea how to make a tutorial. Besides, sugarshack has done it before, and I got the idea from her in the first place. Maybe I'll PM her and ask if she wouldn't mind doing one...or, if not, maybe she'd be willing to fill me in on how to go about it. We'll see.

Happy baking, all!
Bekah

riagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riagirl Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 9:24am
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekahd

hi, pinkflamingo! The CT stuff I got from SquirrellyCakes, it's under the How Do I tutorials. Here's the link she sent me:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13945&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Really kinda fun to do. My 5-yr-old was sketching her own "animals" so I would make some just for her. icon_razz.gif

GatorFan I just joined the forum in March, and would have NO idea how to make a tutorial. Besides, sugarshack has done it before, and I got the idea from her in the first place. Maybe I'll PM her and ask if she wouldn't mind doing one...or, if not, maybe she'd be willing to fill me in on how to go about it. We'll see.

Happy baking, all!
Bekah

Awesome cake!! BUMPING you all up, hopefully more people will do the same until you or sugarshack agree to doa tutorial or at least PM me to let meknwo how to make such perfect boxes! LOL

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 3:00pm
post #29 of 30

FABO!!!!!!!!!!!!! You aced it girl!!!!

I will take pics next time I do one.... whenever that is, LOL

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 3:06pm
post #30 of 30

Another admirer here...Awesome job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%