The Price Is Right!!

Business By karateka Updated 17 Apr 2007 , 1:31pm by sundaybegonia

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 17

Not really...just another price question. What would you charge for this cake?? I think to do it in a 14 in round it will cost me $44 and in a 10 in would cost me $35.50.

What would you guys charge for these sizes??
LL

16 replies
southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:19am
post #2 of 17

that's sounds about right to me.....maybe even a little more

karateka Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:24am
post #3 of 17

Well, those $$$ were my COST. Not even including my time. So I'd need to mark it up, just not sure how much. If I use cost x 3, it would be $82 for the 10in and $110 for the 14 in. And that's not including the cost of the board and box.

And do you know what kind of flowers those are? Anyone??

anorris3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anorris3 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:28am
post #4 of 17

How are you figuring your costs? It just seems a little high for a relatively small cake.

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:32am
post #5 of 17

That is a beautiful cake. The flowers look like they are gumpast.
I find that doing a cake like that isn't going to net me enough to make it worth while. So I try not to put as much into it possible. Are you making it from scratch? If so, perhaps try dressing up a cake mix to cut the corners a bit.

just this yorkiemum's 2 cents

karateka Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:38am
post #6 of 17

My cost is for the 10in or 14 in chocolate cake, plus a recipe of buttercream, plus the required fondant, which is about 4-5lbs for cakes of this size, including putting fondant on the board.

I agree, it's a lot...that's why I'm looking for pricing advice. Fondant cakes are expensive. I guess I could offer buttercream, but that picture is clearly fondant, in my book...

Sandra80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandra80 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:43am
post #7 of 17

i'd cut costs by not covering the board in fondant, it really seems like a lot of fondant for such a small cake.

anorris3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anorris3 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:44am
post #8 of 17

I suppose you are buying ready made fondant. You could definitely cut costs by making your own.

CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:48am
post #9 of 17

I think the pink flowers look like just the regular flowers where you pipe and twist (does that make sense?) can't remember their name from class. I definitely think that the ivory flowers on the top look like apple blossoms.

Just guessing on price (I know I have really shortchanged myself a couple of times), but I'd say for the 10-inch maybe $60-65 and for the 14-inch maybe $75 or so? I'm bad at the pricing. Sorry. At least this will bump your post!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:04am
post #10 of 17

I'm not sure why your costs are so high for this cake (mine are less than $15 including the box & drum) but I would charge $50 for the 10" and $75 for the 14".

wan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wan Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:06am
post #11 of 17

I think your costs are too high. I live in P.R. , i charge about $60.00 for a regular 10" fondant cake, but for this one add youre time, maybe $85.00.

karateka Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:53am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

mine are less than $15 including the box & drum)

Wow....I'm not sure why your cost is so low!! My 14 in choc cake costs $13.24 just for the batter! (the 10 in cost for batter alone is $9.46) About $5.50 for enough frosting, 5.5 lbs of fondant at $3.50 each, $5 cake drum, $1.15 box... adds up to $44...oops, that does include the cake board, sorry!

I guess I could cut costs by using mmf, but I've got a huge drum of SatinIce paid for and sitting in my basement.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll chew on it a while and see what I come up with.

HeatherDG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherDG Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:58am
post #13 of 17

I'm having the exact same problem with pricing. I just did a 6" double torted white chocolate cake with fresh strawberries as the filling with a heavy whipped cream icing. The cake was a doctored mix with an extender and 6 oz. of white chocolate shredded in it.

I then added 24 yellow butter cake cupcakes with chocolate filled centers, iced in almond flavored BC. My cost alone for those items was close to $25 with buying my ingredients at WM/Costco. How on earth are you supposed to make any money doing this??

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:08am
post #14 of 17

I think your cake is lovely, and the flowers look like gumpaste dogwood blossoms to me icon_smile.gif
Pricing is always difficult for me, too. I really like working with Satin Ice, but it is pricey...I would charge $60, and $75 respectively.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:37am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

Quote:
Quote:

mine are less than $15 including the box & drum)

Wow....I'm not sure why your cost is so low!! My 14 in choc cake costs $13.24 just for the batter! (the 10 in cost for batter alone is $9.46) About $5.50 for enough frosting, 5.5 lbs of fondant at $3.50 each, $5 cake drum, $1.15 box... adds up to $44...oops, that does include the cake board, sorry!

I guess I could cut costs by using mmf, but I've got a huge drum of SatinIce paid for and sitting in my basement.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll chew on it a while and see what I come up with.

Just off of the top of my head my cake boxes are less than .30each and my drums are about $1.47 each...huge difference from what you are paying! I think the Satin Ice is about $13 for 5lbs...not totally sure on that one...my price list isn't with me. Where do you get your supplies from?

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:51am
post #16 of 17

The pink flowers look like royal icing apple blossoms and the white ones look like gumpaste made the same way?

I think $65 and $80 would be about right? Good question - bad problem for you icon_cry.gif

Beautiful cake!! It does cry out for a fondant-covered cake board in my opinion though....

sundaybegonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sundaybegonia Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:31pm
post #17 of 17

Instead of fondant could you do the faux fondant out of buttercream instead? I agree the picture of the cake is just beautiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%