Chocolate Royal Icing

Decorating By ladyonzlake Updated 25 Apr 2006 , 2:04am by ladyonzlake

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 2:25am
post #1 of 17

Is there such a thing? I'm decorating cookes...the heart tuxedo ones that I saw on here from...I think from antonio74? Anyway, I wanted a dark colored icing without the bad taste.
Jacqui

16 replies
ladyonzlake Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 2:30am
post #2 of 17

anyone?

ladyonzlake Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 2:34am
post #3 of 17

Anyone??

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 2:37am
post #4 of 17

I would add some cocoa powder - 1 tablespoons to start, blended in with 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar. Sift both together before using. You may have to adjust the amount, but always try and add it with a cocoa powder/powdered sugar mixture.

Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

ladyonzlake Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 2:40am
post #5 of 17

okay, I'll try that. Thanks so much!
Jacqui

Kimanalynn Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 2:42am
post #6 of 17

Here's another actual recipe I found ~
Chocolate Royal Icing
1 lb powdered sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
7 tablespoons warm water
3 tablespoons powdered egg whites (meringue powder)
Mix powdered sugar, cocoa and egg whites.
Add water slowly until the icing is the consistency of thick frosting for outlining and thin with more water to fill.

Jenni27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni27 Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 2:42am
post #7 of 17

I don't think you can make chocolate royal icing because of the fat in chocolate. You may be able to add cocoa powder, it has 0.5g of fat in a serving, but I'm not sure of how that would affect the outcome. You could use Alice's cookie icing and add some cocoa or pre-melted chocolate to that, since it has butter in it.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 2:45am
post #8 of 17

To be honest, I made black royal icing and had to add a lot of black and it didn't taste bad at all. I use Americolor black. I also add a little vanilla and almond flavorings to the icing (use Antonia74's recipe), that tends to help too. So I'm sure you could use brown coloring (especially Americolor) and be fine. If it tastes a little off, you can add a little vanilla.

ladyonzlake Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 2:49am
post #9 of 17

Hmm, hadn't thought about the fat content in chocolate. I like your tip golfgirl about adding a bit more vanilla or almond flavoring. Is antonia74's recipe on here somewhere?
Jacqui

ladyonzlake Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 2:53am
post #10 of 17

Never mind I found it. Thanks for everyones tips and help!
Jacqui

ladyonzlake Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 3:35am
post #11 of 17

Oh wow, kimanalynn I totaly passed up your post with the icing recipe. Sounds good, I'll give it a try! Thank you!
Jacqui

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 10:07am
post #12 of 17

good luck on your icing! let us know how it turns out! icon_biggrin.gif

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 2:32pm
post #13 of 17

Hey, ,let me know how it comes out. I've asked this question before and got the same answers. I just haven't taken the time to make it yet.
Tab

ladyonzlake Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 3:19pm
post #14 of 17

okay, I will. I'm making the cookies today and either decorating today or tommorrow. Also, does anyone know how long royal icing keeps?
Jacqui

Kimanalynn Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 3:22pm
post #15 of 17

I think I have heard something like two weeks; you have to rebeat it after it has been stored, though. And be sure to store it in a greasless containter!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 4:29pm
post #16 of 17

I have always just added cocoa powder to get the color I'm after..and then thin down to the right consistency with water...and the chocolate flavor has always been great!!

ladyonzlake Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 2:04am
post #17 of 17

I thought I'd get back to everyone about the chocolate royal icing. It did work great but I still had to add quite a bit of black coloring to get it black but myself, my husband, and my daughter did decide that we did not like the flavor so I guess I'll go back to white royal icing. Please see my cookie pictures under my photos. They are the Wedding, Anniversary and the Sports ball cookies.

Also, I made them with the No Fail Sugar Cooke recipe and I made some cookie bouquets (not pictured) but the cookes were very soft and kept falling off of the sticks. Anyone else have that problem? They were extra large cookes (6-8") so that may have been part of the problem?
Jacqui

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%