Mmf Bows

Decorating By shelshel Updated 20 Apr 2006 , 1:19pm by ASupergirl

shelshel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelshel Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 10

Hello to all,

I am a newby to this whole cake making thing and I just made my first cake ever for my daughters 13th b-day and I decided to use fondant but my bows wouldnt stand up. The loops I made kept colapsing. How do I make them stand up right without making them too thick? Ive been asked to make another cake for a 6 year old this weekend and she wants a big pink bow on top. Any suggestions would be great.

9 replies
lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 10

After you cut the stips, fold them over, pinch the ends, rest them on their sides (use cotton balls to hold the shape, if necessary) and let them dry for a few days. I dry mine in the oven with just the light turned on; it produces enough heat to dry them overnight. If the fondant is dyed, place foil or sheet over top oven rack to keep the direct light off the loops to prevent fading. And welcome to CC! You'll love it!

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 10

Have you ever used tylose? I bought some because I saw it helps fondant dry quicker, is this true?

mgowan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgowan Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 10

I make bows all the time but I use chocolate melts. I am making a red chocolate one this weekend. I just cut 1" strips from wax paper and spoon the melted chocolates onto each strip. I let them dry for a few minutes on the counter. As soon as the real shine starts to dull, I pinch the ends together and stand up on their sides. I refrigerate and then assemble with more melted chocolate. I can't image taking several days to make a bow. I do it in an hour with great results!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 10

I've never used tylose, but I think other members use that or another product to help the item dry harder; I'm unsure if it makes it dry faster.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 10

supposedly makes it dry faster and harder than fondant would get normally on its own....I've also heard of them using gumtex

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 10

I have never made a bow but I do know that gumtex is added to fondant to help it dry faster. I love the chocolate bow idea, I never thought of that! Sounds easier and i am sure it tastes much better!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 10

I use gumtex, and after I make my bows, I have these little things I have that you put in cakes to hold live flowers. (i forget what they are called) They hold up the bows in a nice round shape!

Gumtex makes it dry very fast!!

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 5:02am
post #9 of 10

You can dry your bow right side up if you roll up some breast pads or kotex inside each loop to keep the shape. They are just stiff enough to shape the bow well and not collapse, plus they don't stick to fondant like cotton balls sometimes do. I use MMF without adding gumtex or anything else. Simply make the loops in the evening the day before and allow then to dry overnight. You can even assemble your entire cake with the bow on, just leave the pads inside your loops until the fondant has dried. If you do add gumtex, make sure you add the proper amount or you will have difficulty working with the fondant. Plus, keep in mind that gumtex will make your bow harder---harder to eat, harder to cut through. Regular MMF is easy to eat and cut through---you probably knew that last part. Good luck and have fun!

ASupergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASupergirl Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 1:19pm
post #10 of 10

Are you serious?!?!?! Ha ha ha ...this just gave me the best laugh in the world!!!! I had to hold in my frosted flakes..... I can see it now...Cake Decorators of the world raid the feminine isle at Wal-mart....ha ha ha...but hey if it works- it works!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%