Thomas The Tank

Decorating By kjb Updated 19 Apr 2006 , 10:11am by MustloveDogs

kjb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjb Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 3:05am
post #1 of 2

Hi! I have gotten a few requests for how I made this Thomas cake and thought I'd post my instructions. It is made with a lot of cookies + a 9x13 cake. I put the links to the pictures to help...

I used a 9 x 13 cake and cut it in half length wise for the base of the train.
I used a stack of striped cookies with icing between each one for the rounded center section (it was about 16) Iced 1/4 of them in black BCI the rest in blue BCI 6 thin red stripes

under the rounded section are 2 layers side by side(8total) of strawberry wafers (they just happened to be the right size but any small square cookie would probably work)

The area with the #1 are strawberry wafer cookies too(not shown in this in progress picture- I stacked 1 strawberry wafer on its side on the base of the cake train(already frosted with the gray and red BCI), then I used a striped shortbread cookie cut in half for the little wheel well 1 cookie for each side - (doubled up) to support the strawberry wafer that it holds up
I then added icing then stacked 1/2 piece of strawberry wafer then a whole piece across it(also on its side) so that the area goes about half way over the wheel well. frosted area in blue outlined in red.

The cab part of thomas is the rest of the 9 x13 scraps . It is frosted in blue with black fondant squares and circles outlined in yellow BCI

The roof is a little taller than the coal area. All is BCI in black the coal area is then covered in cut up pieces of licorace.

The wheels are again striped cookies cut in half chocolate side up with blue icing lines.

The face I made from fondant.

The little smoke stacks were uncooked pasta (ziti) cut down to look proportionate to the rest of the cake.

I used a little toy Thomas to get the coloring.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=topn&album=55&pos=-20053

The back cars where made out of loaf pans stacked on top of each other.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=topn&album=55&pos=-11857

Happy Baking!

Kimberly

1 reply
MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 10:11am
post #2 of 2

Thankyou so much for the wonderful instructions. Train cakes are my biggest trouble! You give me courage to try again with your ideas!
Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really appreciate you taking the trouble to post the instructions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%