Question About No Fail Sugar Cookie Recipe

Baking By vpaz24 Updated 21 Apr 2006 , 9:21pm by pinkopossum

vpaz24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpaz24 Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 12

I made this recipe for Easter and the cookies, in the end, came out great. They tasted really good. But, when I was trying to roll them out to use the cookie cutters, the dough was crumbly and wouldn't stay together. I had to keep adding a little bit of water to make it stick together. What did I do wrong? I was very precise on my measurements and I used my kitchen aid to mix it. I don't know where I went wrong. Anyone have any advice? Usually I don't have problems with cookies.

11 replies
Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 12

I've made this several times and never had any problems. Did you let the butter get soft first? Did you chill the dough in the fridge? Maybe it needed to be warmed a little before rolling it out?

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 12

there was a recent post about this issue - this is the link to that thread.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-21631.html

I make this recipe all the time. If you let the dough keep mixing in the mixer for an extra minute or two, it will come together into a ball and won't be "crumbly" any more.

good luck!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 12

I also used this recipe for my Easter cookies. I didn't notice the dough being crumbly though...give it another try.
Jacqui

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 12

Yep, I found the same thing as bonniebakes...mix about a minute or two longer. thumbs_up.gif

kos

bbelias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbelias Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 12

Me too . . . I let it mix until it all sticks together.

vpaz24 Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 12

Ok, maybe I didn't let it mix long enough. My butter was at room temp, so I don't think that was the problem, unless it wasn't warm enough. But, I will try letting it mix longer. Is it better to use the dough hook or the paddle?

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 12

I have found that it is better to use the paddle. I also let it mix for a while until it forms kind of a ball. Then I know it is done mixing.

vpaz24 Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 10:16pm
post #9 of 12

Ok. Thanks everyone for all your help!! thumbs_up.gif

simply Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simply Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 12

I made the no fail for the first time yesterday after reading how wonderful it is.
To start with I thought it was going to go crumble. This usually happens to me when I make pastry in a Kenwood. I quickly took it out and kneaded it for a while until I ended up with a lovely textured pastry.

I used cold butter and even made the cookies immediately and did not leave the pastry to chill.
The cookies came out lovely and waiting to ice them

manatee19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manatee19 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 12

I've noticed that their is a HUGE difference between, large and extra large eggs. Let me tell you, I only use extra large eggs now.

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 9:21pm
post #12 of 12

love the no-fail recipe, just mix til everything sticks together and is well incorporated

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%