Mickey Mouse Hat Cake

Decorating By AngelaP Updated 1 May 2005 , 4:56am by Lisa

AngelaP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaP Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 4:48am
post #1 of 10

I am making a Mickey Mouse Hat Cake and was wondering if you all might have suggestions as to how to make the ears. I have thought of candy melts moulded with the cookie on a stick pan, do you think they would be too heavy and fall? Thank you for you help!

9 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 5:12am
post #2 of 10

I think that's a great idea. Whether they'll fall or not depends on how dense the cake is and how heavy the ears are but I don't think they will.

You could also cut them from black fondant. You might be able to get a better ear shape with fondant.

Another idea might be to cut them out of black cardstock and attach the cardstock to toothpicks. You could insert them into the cake just before it was served so you wouldn't have to worry about the paper soaking up any moisture.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 10:44am
post #3 of 10

the candy melts on sticks sounds good and you can eat every thing but the sticks !

AngelaP Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 1:30am
post #4 of 10

So I made the ears out of candy melts, I think they will be too heavy. If I make the ears out of fondant or MMF, how long will it take for them to be set?

Lisa Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 2:34am
post #5 of 10

I've noticed with regular fondant, it starts to set up in under an hour but you might want to give it overnight just to make sure. I don't know about MMF. I've made it once just for fun and to see how it tasted and mine never got really hard--stiff but not hard. I must not have added enough powdered sugar or something because I've seen other cakes with MMF bows that were perfect and beautiful.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 8:08am
post #6 of 10

dont you have to add some gum-tex or somthing like that to make the fondant harden up?

Chrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrystal Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 2:39am
post #7 of 10

i would use colored fondant...

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 2:51am
post #8 of 10

what about maing a cookie and icing it black???? you can use the cookie on a stick pan and it should be lite enough.

Susan

AngelaP Posted 1 May 2005 , 1:19am
post #9 of 10

Well, I decided to go with fondant ears, I have posted a picture in the gallery under Children's Birthday Cakes. Thanks for all of the advice. I think it turned out pretty good!

Lisa Posted 1 May 2005 , 4:56am
post #10 of 10

I think it turned out pretty great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%