Wedding Mints

Sugar Work By cookingfor5 Updated 27 Jun 2007 , 1:15pm by fosterscreations

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 11

When I was younger, every wedding had these mints at them that the cake decorator made. They were kinda soft and usually the shape of hearts and bells from what I remember. I haven't seen them at a wedding in about 20 years, but was wondering if anyone knew what they were. A few times people have thought they knew what I was thinking of, but they turned out to be chocolate mints.

Just to give you an idea of where I gew up. Central Illinois. Don't know if that helps anyone out. I would really like to learn how to make them. Any help will be much appreciated.

Meigan

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 11

When I first started, I made cream cheese mints. I can't remember the amounts, but softened cream cheese mixed with LOTS of powdered sugar. I added the mint flavoring and the color into the cream cheese and mixed it before added the sugar....much easier to blend!

You use special molds for these .... not the plastic molds that you use with melted chocolate. These molds are more of a rubber type of mold. Make a round ball and dip it in granualted sugar. Press the ball, sugar side down, into the mold and you can then immediately pop them out and put them on a tray or in a box. Refrigerate until time to go to the wedding!

I stopped making these because they take SO MUCH longer than the melt-n-mold chocolate mints. The cream cheese gives them a unique taste.

Not sure if that's what you were looking for, but it's the only other non-chocolate method I know of.

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 11

I think this is the recipe I made last time and they were really good.

1 - 8 oz pkg cream cheese (not fat free)
2 lb pkg powdered sugar
1/4 tsp flavoring

Mix together really well. Roll into balls. I always dip into sugar so they come out of the from nicely. These freeze well and sometimes even taste better after being in the freezer. Store in airtight container with wax paper seperating layers.

These are very popular in our area especially for the upcoming graduations!! I can't tell you how many you can make, it really depends on the mold you use.

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 11

Oh, how well I remember!! I grew up in Iowa and yes, we had them at every graduation, anniversary, and wedding.

They have pretty much gone out of vogue but my dad wanted them at his reception when he remarried. Just like indydebi described, they are basically cream cheese and sugar. I don't have the recipe, but I suppose I should have it in my file somewhere in case someone Old School - like dad, wanted them for a party (but then, where would I get the molds...?)

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 11

Where in Iowa did you grow up, marccrand? I live in Central Iowa.

I have molds from my grandma but I have seen them at Hobby Lobby with the suckers and other candy molds.

These are really easy to make but time consuming. I need to start making mine for graduation. Try to do it when your shows are on so you can at least have something to help the time go by!

SQcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SQcakes Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 11

Around here, you can buy butter molds and they work great for the cream cheese mints. YUM!!

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 11

Nope, I was on the western border in Sioux City - Dad's still there. My sister lives in Madrid so I get to visit the home state every year or so. The ICES conventions is in Omaha this summer, but I haven't decided if I'll be able to go or not.

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 11

I love the taste of these mints. You can use virtually any mold available to make them for any occaision. The recipe I have makes a very large quantity and if you dont use the dough hook, you will burn up your mixer! These mints are the reason my my got a new kitchenaid for xmas one year!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 11

I love these too. My two favorties are using mint flavoring and then the ones that use the butter flavoring. I could eat these all day long

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 11:21pm
post #10 of 11

I definitely think these are it. Thank you so much. It is funny how simple the recipe is, and they taste so yummy. I can see how they are a lot of work. I think I may get a mold for nostalgia sake.

I can hardly wait to try them again!

It's funny how things like these disappear from traditions. It's funny how you all know what I am talking about.

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 1:15pm
post #11 of 11

I still do them here for weddings, graduations, and baby showers. I use the lorann oils in them for flavors. My customers especially like the creme de menthe, irish cream, and amaretto. I have also done raspberry, strawberry and a few others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%