Fondant Problems

Decorating By MissLady85 Updated 16 Apr 2007 , 3:24am by MissLady85

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:17am
post #1 of 19

I covered my first cake with fondant last night (this was a practice cake) it didnt turn out the way i had hoped. I had a hard time rolling the fondant out (i colored it purple- dont think it matters), I have a wilton mat that i used ( i also read that i should sprinkle confectioners sugar on the mat and rolling pin) i did that but it still stuck in the middle. Can anyone share any tricks to keeping the fondant free? I also encountered some problems on the corners (im sure this is something you have to practice on but any tips would be helpfull) I cant seem to attach the picture but you can view it in my Pictures. Thanks for hhelp in advance.

18 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:19am
post #2 of 19

rolling fondant is like rolling a pie dough.

keep lifting and turning the dough and dusting underneath.

kirsty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirsty Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:27am
post #3 of 19

Use cornflour not icing sugar!!!

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:31am
post #4 of 19

I think you did a fine job for your first try--especially if you are trying to teach yourself! Like all things, it just takes practice. Each time you try, it will get better.

I've heard of using shortening or powdered sugar or corn starch on your mat. You might have to see which works the best for you. I seem to have the best luck w/ powdered sugar. And like Doug said, keep lifting, dusting, and turning to get it even and to help prevent sticking.

Just hang in there--You'll get it figured out! (You just may have to take a deep breath and count to 10 every once in awhile, though! At least I still do!)

arden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arden Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:33am
post #5 of 19

Ok so I had the same thing. First sample cake and first time doing fondant.
I forgot to do the base icing but even without that I thought it turned out well.l
1) When rolling on the mat it would stick in place just a little. But that made it hard to put on the cake.
2) how do you put it on the cake, when I picked it up it stretched so I flipped the mat over and covered the cake that way but a couple of the sides split and cracked...what do you do to prevent that.
3) Got it all decorated and it looked pretty good but when we went to eat it I had an after tasted like a coating, did I use to much shortening?
Next thing is I made ganche scrolls on the cake and I would like to know if I can keep this ganache until next week in a tin foil covered bowl until next week for the wedding and just heat it alittle.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:48am
post #6 of 19

I would suggest crisco. Especially if its cracking when ya try and put it on the cake.
I use crisco and/or cornstarch when rolling out my fondant.
If it tastes bad, your probably using Wilton...???
I would suggest anything but Wilton. Or just make your own MMF (marshmallow fondant).
As for the ganache, I dont know the rules but I have kept some way over a week and it was fine.
thumbs_up.gif

arden Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:52am
post #7 of 19

I did use crisco and I did make mmf from a recipe from here.
The taste was like a coating sorta like you get from eating donuts.

MissLady85 Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:59am
post #8 of 19

Well when mine stuck to the mat i scraped it off with a spatchula (sp) it still worked (didnt really crack, i stretched it a little to thin in places) Thanks to everyone for all of the great suggestings... im going to try something different for the next one (tomorrow) as i am trying to cover a 12in cake and im scared to pick it up and dust under it alot.

Wendoger Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:00am
post #9 of 19

...you used crisco and it still stuck? And cracked? You may have rolled it out too thin.
I think it tastes like marshmallows...just sweet marshmallows. Any fondant, to me, is an acquired taste. Theres alot of people who dont wanna 'chew' their frosting.
I guess maybe roll it thicker next time...when I roll mine, I use crisco, I lift the whole mat and flip it onto the cake then gently peel it off and onto the cake.
thumbs_up.gif

arden Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:05am
post #10 of 19

thanks wendoger I will try your suggestions

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:20am
post #11 of 19

Ganache will keep well in the frig for months

MissLady85 Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 5:46am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendoger

...you used crisco and it still stuck? And cracked? You may have rolled it out too thin.
I think it tastes like marshmallows...just sweet marshmallows. Any fondant, to me, is an acquired taste. Theres alot of people who dont wanna 'chew' their frosting.
I guess maybe roll it thicker next time...when I roll mine, I use crisco, I lift the whole mat and flip it onto the cake then gently peel it off and onto the cake.
thumbs_up.gif

no... in my original post i said i used confectioners sugar (thats what it says in one of the Wilton books) but i wanna try the crisco. will it give it a funny tase or discolor it any if i choose to color it??

Wendoger Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:16pm
post #13 of 19

The crisco will not change the taste or color.
Whenever I make dark colors, I always use crisco because the cornstarch is always a pain to dust off. The only time I use cornstarch is for really light colors or white, all other times its crisco for rolling out.
thumbs_up.gif

dyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dyna Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:57pm
post #14 of 19

I use cornstarch and just roll out like you would a pie.I sometimes have problems also with it cracking I think I roll it out way too thin.yes, I do use Wiltons fontant.I really didn't know there was other kinds.I mean that are ready to use fontant
Dyna

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:07pm
post #15 of 19

I had no end of problems with fondant sticking to the Wilton mat -- crisco or no crisco. So I went to the fabric store and got a sheet of vinyl, the same kind used for covering furniture. It's very inexpensive, you can cut it into whatever size you need, and the fondant will NOT stick to it! I use the Wilton mat underneath so I can keep track of the size I am rolling.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:24pm
post #16 of 19

https://www.atecousa.net/learn/index.shtml
this might help, great tutorial

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 6:04pm
post #17 of 19

Dolfin--Very nice tutorial! Thanks for posting it! (He just makes it look so effortless . . . .)

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 6:07pm
post #18 of 19

your welcome, anothe cc member posted the link. I hope to some day be able to do 1/2 as well as that guy!!

MissLady85 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 3:24am
post #19 of 19

thank you Wendoger for suggesting Crisco... i used it for my smaller cake today and it worked wonders i probally should have left it on the mat and flipped it over on the cake.... the fondant started to pull apart so i think that means i rolled it to thin. i will post pictures tomorrow. Thank you sooo much for everyone who put in two cents, it really helped me out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%