Cleaning The Airbrush

Decorating By Cake_Geek Updated 27 Jan 2007 , 8:02pm by sunlover00

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 11:54am
post #1 of 10

I went Saturday to find some airbrush cleaning solution but the cake store I went to did not have anymore in stock. The seasoned decorator there told me he uses denture tablets!! He said he puts the brush in a tall cup with the tablets and makes sure to move the needle back and forth then rinses well.

Just thought I'd share!

9 replies
gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 11:59am
post #2 of 10

Wow! What a great idea, may have to try that!

(My mom actually uses denture tablets to clean her toilet! Makes it sparkly clean! icon_confused.gif )

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 10

Cool idea! Windex works fairly well too!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcakes

Wow! What a great idea, may have to try that!

(My mom actually uses denture tablets to clean her toilet! Makes it sparkly clean! icon_confused.gif )

oohhh......does she have to scrub it at all??? I hate scrubbing the toilet!!! lol

auntiem26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiem26 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 3:04am
post #5 of 10

HAHA I love funny household tips!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 3:12am
post #6 of 10

I just rinse with water. If it gets really gunky....hot water and a touch of bleach.

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:36am
post #7 of 10

I hope someone is still watching this post for replies!
I just got my airbrush and used it for the first time. I love it!

But, I have some questions.
1. Do you have to take it apart and clean it after each use?
2. I have cleaning solution - do I use that each time? Like rinse and spray with water first, then the solution?
3. It seems that the spray will come out only if the air pressure is set at the highest setting; nothing comes out but air if it's set lower.

I have the Kopycat red air compressor with single action large bowl air gun thing.

Thanks for any help from experienced users!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:43am
post #8 of 10

after use with just colors you can run hot water through it, you dont need to take it apart everytime. but if you spray dusts through it make sure you clean it extra well.

I generally set my pressure dial at about 10 oclock for sufficiant pressure. Is the color bubbling in the cup? do you have an extra needle you could try? I have had this problem once, after i had to fit a new nozzle, i believe the needle was a little too snug and although air and color flowed i needed high pressure to get it through.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 10

I learned the denture tablet trick a while ago, and it works great. My kids saw the box a few weeks ago - and not knowing what I used it for looked at me strange. The said "we didn't know you had dentures...." I asked if they wanted me to take them out and show them. hehehehe

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

i believe the needle was a little too snug

So I have it too tight? I don't think the color was bubbling, but I did have the cap on so I don't really know for sure. I don't have an extra needle.

I just didn't know what was "normal". The least amt of pressure it will come out at is about "noon" on the dial. Not that it's a problem, it worked ok and I suppose I can learn to use it that way....since I don't know any different, ya know!?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%