Luster Dust?

Decorating By Sweetcakes23 Updated 12 May 2006 , 2:26am by BlakesCakes

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 4:12am
post #1 of 22

Can anyone brief me on the procedure for using Luster dust? I just purchased several shades, and now I'm apprehensive about using it. Can anyone tell me how its used and some basic techniques? I ordered it after seeing it add sheen to fondant borders, and beads etc. but how do you actually apply it?

21 replies
carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 4:23am
post #2 of 22

There are many different ways that you can apply it, depending on how you want it to look. I have little white chocolate pearls that I just roll around in the dust itself that are gorgeous, I also paint with it using lemon extract or vodka. just pur a tiny bit of LE or Vodka into a cup, dip your paint brush in and then dip your moistened paintbrush ever so slightly into the luster dust. Those little containers go a long way. You just need to play around with what consistancy works for you. You can also use a dry fluffy brush do dust it on for a light glow. Have fun and be sure to post pics icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 4:25am
post #3 of 22

Can I ask why use a liquid with alcohol vs. just water or other flavouring?

carrielynnfields Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 4:50am
post #4 of 22

The luster dust does dissolve in luster dust, it just soart of floats on the top, that was a question for me too till I tried it. If using alcohol is an issue maybe try piping gel? The only problem I see with that is it will leave it shiny and a bit sticky. Maybe someone has a better answer than me...probably. sorry I couldn't be of more help.

simply Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simply Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 5:35am
post #5 of 22

I have never managed to find lemon extract in England. I saw Collette Peters applying lustre dust with lemon extract on a fondant bow and it was awesome.

Can someone either please explain to me what is lemon extract or where can I buy it from?

carrielynnfields Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 8:09am
post #6 of 22

I find my lemon extract in the baking section of my supermarket, next to the vanilla, if you can't get lemon extract another fruit extract I am sure would work, I have heard it is the combination of alcohol and citrus oil that makes it perfect for painting with luster dust. That is what I hear at least. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

katiebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiebug Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 22

Simply I believe you call it Lemon Essence in the UK, used for flavoring food in baking and cooking. I mix my dust and lemon extract in a small dish , don't add to much of the extract or it will not paint smoothly and you will have to do several coats. You want the mixture fairly thick (about like nail polish thickness if that helps). And just use a soft paint brush to apply. The aclohol in the extracts etc. that you paint with will evaporate off and speed up the drying time. You can also dry dust ,although the color won't be as bright, where you simply dip the brush into the dust and apply. I use a fairly fluffy soft brush when I dry brush.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 22

I used luster dust for the first time this weekend. I painted it on white chocolate seashells for my wedding cake this upcoming weekend. I painted it on with a make up brush (yes, clean and new)- and did not use it with a liquid. it gave my seashells the pearlized look that I was going for, but, to anyone who uses it frequently, will it come off easier because I brushed it on dry? I am storing them in an airtight container until I use them to decorate Friday.

rach1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rach1 Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 8:27am
post #9 of 22

with lustre dust you can either dust it with a dry brush to give a light pearlised effect..or mix with rejuvenator spirit or clea alcohol or lemon juice.

The rejuventator spirit is best as it mixes well and dries once painted on so your paste does not get too wet..if you use water it doesnt work so well cos the alcohol wont evaporate off so staying on the paste longer.
When it dries it goes back to dust but if its been painted on it leaves a beauitful shimmer once painted the items can be stored in a container until ready for use..

If you look in my pics the best example of lustre dust using is my undersea castle cake everything there has been painted with it

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 12:23pm
post #10 of 22

Just saw Collette last night at a demo in NY.
Taken a few classes and she's great.
Many ?'s were asked about luster dust & pearl dust.
You can use dry or wet. She uses LEMON EXTRACT
because LE is the highest in alcohol. It smells
good, and doesn't leave a lemon taste on your
fondant or sugarpaste. It burns off. I use it
dry when I want that shimmer affect and I use
it for painting. You can email her and she'll
answer back. She is busy though, But gets
back to you.
vicki

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 2:39pm
post #11 of 22

The lemon extract that is available to me here is clear yellow. If I use it, will it affect the end colour of the lustre dust?

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 9:22pm
post #12 of 22

No. Lemon extract has a small tint, but your
fine.
v

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 6:03am
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply

I have never managed to find lemon extract in England. I saw Collette Peters applying lustre dust with lemon extract on a fondant bow and it was awesome.

Can someone either please explain to me what is lemon extract or where can I buy it from?

In England we can buy something called painting liquid to use with the dusts. It is an alcohol based liquid. You only use a drop or 2 in the lid of the lustre dust pot as it evaporates so quickly. Once you're finished you just screw the lid back on and all the leftover dust just falls back into the pot

Sweetcakes23 Posted 8 May 2006 , 3:31am
post #14 of 22

Wow, what GREAT responses! It's been a while since I checked these, but you guys are fantastic with supplying information! Thank you, for boosting my confidence to try this. I will post pics. when I get a chance to try it. I'm going to do a Baptism cake and wanted to do a cross trimmed in gold. We will see!
Thanks everyone!

SweetStuff221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff221 Posted 10 May 2006 , 5:51pm
post #15 of 22

Where can i find luster dust? And about how much does it cost,,, i want to do a bible cake and use this on the edges

Sweetcakes23 Posted 10 May 2006 , 11:28pm
post #16 of 22

I believe I purchased mine online through Earlenes Cake website. Wish I could remember how much, but I'm sure it was'nt very much or I wouldn't have ordered it. Ha! You use very little at a time....hope this helps.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 11 May 2006 , 12:31am
post #17 of 22

Quick question...sorry to sidetrack your thread....is luster dust the same as shimmer dust, or is it an entirely different beast?

Thanks
Angie

Sweetcakes23 Posted 11 May 2006 , 1:09am
post #18 of 22

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, they work very much the same, except you have to be careful with some of these as some are edible (non-toxic) and some are not.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 11 May 2006 , 1:16am
post #19 of 22

The shimmer dust I saw was a Wilton product for fondant. I wonder if it's just a trademark name or something.

Thanks for the reply.

carrielynnfields Posted 11 May 2006 , 5:04am
post #20 of 22

If I remember correctly, The only big difference between shimmer dust and luster dust is that shimmer dust has slightly larger "glitter" in it giving it more of a....well....shimmer. Luster dust is very fine giving it more of a glow. Hope that helps. Ohhh, and I bought my stuff from Country Kitchen Art and it was about 3 dollars for a little drum of it about the size of a nickle around and 1 inch high. It lasts FOREVER though and I think is totally worth it. Hope that helps.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 11 May 2006 , 6:35pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetStuff221

Where can i find luster dust? And about how much does it cost,,, i want to do a bible cake and use this on the edges

Sweetstuff221, here in Michigan, I get my lustre dust from my local cake and candy supply store. I costs me 2.98 per container. The jars are fairly small, but it's 'dust' sothere is plenty in the container and as all have said, 'a little goes a long way'. hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:26am
post #22 of 22

LUSTER DUST AND SHIMMER DUST ARE NOT THE SAME!

Luster Dust is a very fine powder that can be used dry or painted on having been mixed with lemon extract. It doesn't "melt" when mixed with the extract. Shimmer dust is a coarsely ground sugar based product that needs to be applied to a damp surface in order to stay in place. It melts when mixed with water, extract, or alcohol so it cannot be "painted" onto fondant or buttercream. It leaves a gritty texture when applied.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%