What To Use To Make Flower Petals Cup Up?

Decorating By fat-sissy Updated 15 Apr 2007 , 12:50am by fat-sissy

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 19

When I make small flowers from MMF and I want them to cup instead of lay flat, I use the little paint trays w/the wells to dry them in. What can I use for larger flower? I have the Wilton formers, but won't they only make 2 sides cup up? Hope this makes sense.

18 replies
gibbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibbler Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 19

I use an egg carton.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbler

I use an egg carton.

You beat me to it! LOL I use egg cartons as well.

Beth in KY

fat-sissy Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 19

I'll start keeping my egg cartons. What a great idea! Anyone else use something different? I think for a large daisy an egg carton will make the petals cup too much.

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 19

what about a recycled yoghurt (or similar sized) container? might need to cut it down in height though...

bethyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyboop Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 19

would a mini ball pan work?

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-sissy

When I make small flowers from MMF and I want them to cup instead of lay flat, I use the little paint trays w/the wells to dry them in. What can I use for larger flower? I have the Wilton formers, but won't they only make 2 sides cup up? Hope this makes sense.

Are you using the ball and veining tool on your Daisies? That is what makes the petals curl up so pretty. You can dry them in a flower former if you want to. I simply put mine directly on the cake. Now wait a minute and let me back up here a bit! This is true for all over the daisies on my cake except the 5 large ones on top of the cake. I did dry those for about 2 hours in the large flower former before putting them on the cake. You can see how well they held their shape after only 2 hours of dry time. HTH's

fat-sissy Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 19

Teekakes- I haven't used the ball and veining tool yet. I wasn't sure if it would work since I use MMF. I'm willing to try it. I love playing w/MMF.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 19

My fondant never holds its shape enough to put it directly on the cake, unless I want it flat! What does the ball and veining tool actually do?

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 4:37pm
post #10 of 19

In culinary school, we used the back of a plastic spoon to shape the petal...

For drying, I use egg cartons, or I make tin foil molds.

Teekakes Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 4:41pm
post #11 of 19

Use the veining end of the tool, place the heal part of the veiner onto the top center part of the petal, lightly push in down and upward, pulling the veiner towards the center of the petal. This puts the nice indention into the petal and cups it inwards. It is very fast and easy to do.
I don't know if I have explained it very well but don't know how to explain it any differently. I learned this in a Wilton class so maybe they will have a diagram showing you how to do it on their website?

I have not made MMF yet but plan to do so today or tomorrow. I'll try it out on an MMF Daisy and see if it works at nicely as the Satin Ice fondant does. Have fun! Playing with Fondant is fabulously fun!! icon_biggrin.gif

TxAgGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxAgGirl Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 19

I just had an idea while reading this thread...

How about using halves of plastic eggs left over from Easter? You could just lay them rounded side up on the counter and lay the flower face down on them. Since there are many different sizes, you'd have lots of choices, and I bet several stores have them on clearance right now.

What do you think? icon_rolleyes.gif

gibbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibbler Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 5:12pm
post #13 of 19

A ramekin might work also. Mine are kind of flat on the bottom and i think would round up the sides well.

Teekakes Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 5:13pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAgGirl

I just had an idea while reading this thread...

How about using halves of plastic eggs left over from Easter? You could just lay them rounded side up on the counter and lay the flower face down on them. Since there are many different sizes, you'd have lots of choices, and I bet several stores have them on clearance right now.

What do you think? icon_rolleyes.gif

I think that is a very good idea and you are correct in saying they are on clearance right now, big time clearance. I saw lots of them left over at Michaels and Hobby Lobby.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 8:31pm
post #15 of 19

I have the foam type sleeves that they ship apples on to the grocery stores. Each one have 12 individual pockets (for like of a better word) and you can stack them to store away.

Ask the produce person and they will give them to you thumbs_up.gif

odm_post Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
odm_post Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 8:51pm
post #16 of 19

I read somewhere that she's using the cupcake pans. Thought that was a great idea. Always keep it in mind in case I need to make MMF flowers icon_smile.gif

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 10:13pm
post #17 of 19

I use foam sheets that are the similar shape as egg cartons...lumpy bits. I got them out of a box that held electronic equipment. They are really good for shaping leaves as well. I also use heaps of aluminium foil, just tear off a piece fold into a square then shape as required.

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 12:38am
post #18 of 19

another idea is patty-tins - the really flat pans compared with the usual cupcake/muffin tins.

fat-sissy Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 12:50am
post #19 of 19

Great ideas cake buddies! It's so funny you mentioned the Easter eggs because I had gone down to the basement to get a bunch out to try before I read your post. Great minds think alike. Ha Ha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%