Imbc

Decorating By Mslou Updated 15 Apr 2006 , 4:00am by fearlessbaker

Mslou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mslou Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 4

I have been told that my IMBC is not safe to use because of the egg whites. I have used this recipe for alot of years and have never made anyone sick. I always temp my syrup and pour and mix slowly so all of the eggwhites get covered. Any one else had any problems? I will continue to use it, but would like some feed back on it.
Thanks a bowl full !!!
Cindy

3 replies
donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 4

What is IMBC? icon_eek.gif

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 15 Apr 2006 , 3:47am
post #3 of 4

this is a bit of a hotly discussed topic... some people believe the the hot sugar is enough to heat the eggs to safety, but someone (I think I was Squirrely) quoted a study that found this not to be true.

Personally I use pasteurized egg whites, then there's no worry. I eat raw eggs all the time, but this is not a decision I want to make for my customers (small children, pregnant women & anyone with immunity issues should not eat raw eggs) since I don't always know who is going to eat it!

The risk of salmonella, etc is quite low in any case, but if you want to continue to use fresh eggs, just make sure you never use any that are cracked or flawed (the risk is slightly higher if the shell is not intact,) don't use the shells to fish out any bits of shell & wash your hands after you handle them (germs are much more likely to be on the outside of the eggs than the inside)

IMBC is Italian Meringue Buttercream... a divine, buttery rich icing that's not too sweet and doesn't crust!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 15 Apr 2006 , 4:00am
post #4 of 4

The chances of getting salmonella are probably slim to none. That being said, someone I bake for could be slim. That's why I only use pasteurized eggs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%