$400..just For Yourself, What Would You Do?

Lounge By gmcakes Updated 20 Apr 2006 , 6:06pm by wendysue

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 18

My Grandmother passed away in January. I was the one who ran errands for her, picked up groceries, and came on a moment's notice if she ever needed help with anything. She had a bank account, and I was the co-signature on, and the beneficiary if anything happened to her...the account was just closed in the past week.

So...I now have $400 to do with any way I see fit. I know that for her, this would have been an enormous amount of money! I have been told to spend the money only on myself, not the house, not the kids, just me.

I know that with at least a small portion of it, I would like to get a tree to plant in her memory at my home, that way I will always have something to remind me of her near-by. My question is...Given the opportunity, how would you spend the money?

17 replies
princessjellybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princessjellybean Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 18

sorry for your loss...and if you dont really need it, donate it to a charity in her memory, i think that would really nice.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 18

My condolences on the loss of your Grandmother. What would she have wanted you to do with the money? If she wanted you to spend it on yourself, it's because she wanted to give you a gift that would make you happy icon_smile.gif . What would make you happy? I'd use it to buy something permanent that would make me think of her when I used it like a pretty cake stand/pedestal. I like the idea of the tree too. Very sweet.

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 18

I too am sorry for your loss. I agree if she gave it to you, she wanted you to spend it on you. A tree is a good idea, I have some friends that lost a child, and around here, people donate a bench at the local fairgrounds with the name of the person on it, the boy loved the fair. Some people donate a book at the local library to. Was there something that your grandma really liked to do? I think any of those things would leave you with some cash left over. I also would get something that every time i used it or saw it, it would remind me of her. Good luck, I'm sure you will figure something out.

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 18

I'd donate at least a portion, because I believe in spreading a blessing around--it goes farther. Then I would use the rest to buy tickets to as many symphonies and theater events that I could, because that is what I enjoy.

I love your tree idea. Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 18

I'm sorry for your loss. I think the tree idea is great!

I really don't know how I'd spend the money. I got $10,000 when I lost my younger brother and I put it on a bigger house...I knew he'd approve of that.

If you truly can't find a way to spend it, put it in savings and save it for a rainy day...or just spend it when you "know".

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 18

Sorry to hear about your loss, what a loving thing that your grandmother did.
I think the tree idea is good.
Did you ever want to take dance lessons?
I would like to either take some dance lessons or take some violin lessons to freshen up on my playing skills.

fallonb2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fallonb2000 Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 18

I'm sorry for your loss. I think that the tree is a beautiful idea. Donating the money would also be a great thing to do with the money. As for something for you, maybe you could plan a weekend (maybe even a 3 or 4-day weekend if you can get a little time off of work) get away for you and your husband somewhere near where you live and have someone watch the kids. You could even just stay at a nice hotel in your city and act like a tourist! You could still give a portion of money to charity and use the rest on a fun weekend, or even spend it on attending a nice charity event and you get to do both at one time. Whatever you do, have fun! icon_biggrin.gif

gmcakes Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 18

Ya'll have such great ideas! Yes, the money is supposed to be spent only on myself!

She had many interests, including sewing and...CAKE DECORATING! (I think I'm a 4th generation cake decorator from what I've been told...it truly is in my blood!)

I've considered buying cake stuff, jewelry, concert tickets, the list goes on and on!

My only instructions were that it be something totally selfish that makes me happy! Oh, the possibilities are limitless! My only problem is...i keep coming back to "oh, the kids would love this!" I would really like it to be something that I will always have, a permanent reminder.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 18

i love the tree idea.....but i think you just answered you own question....
i would find coupons at micheals and joanns, those 40% and 50% off coupons will make your sweet grandmas money go farther.
i would take a cake class too. then buy something cake retated.
what a fun way to remember her!

melody

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 18

Taking cake classes would be a gift to you and your family! But me....I would buy an iPod and a membership to www.audible.com. I can't live without it. I listen to books while I decorate, clean, drive, and sleep. icon_smile.gif

gmcakes Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 1:11am
post #12 of 18

OK...I have a Kitchenaid Mixer (6qt. pro-series, my pride and joy)! Am leaning towards buying a new coated flat beater, it would be really nice to have a spare when busy with cakes.

When I went on KA's web site, I saw a new attachment I had not heard of before...does any one on this site have the new 11-wire whip? It is supposed to whip more volume into egg whites or cream in less time, here is the link to view it:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=ModelNumberLookup&productId=1085

...any feedback on this attachment would be great! Bonus: If I order both attachments, the order will qualify for free shipping! icon_biggrin.gif

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 4:01am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcakes

Ya'll have such great ideas! Yes, the money is supposed to be spent only on myself!

.......My only instructions were that it be something totally selfish that makes me happy! Oh, the possibilities are limitless!

Well if it is to be totally selfish.....I'd pamper and treat myself to a day at a spa!! I'd get a manicure, pedicure, facial, massage, etc, etc. etc.!!! Then take myself on a small shopping spree and buy a new pair of shoes!! And you could even take a friend... icon_lol.gif

It's not a very practical way to spend the $$$....but my husband bought me a gift certificate one year to our local spa....I brought one of my friends and that was the best day I've had in years!!! It was such a nice relaxing day.....nothing got on my nerves for like a whole week!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Christine

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 1:01pm
post #14 of 18

My condolences on your loss.

I have that whip, came with my PRO600. Haven't used it yet, so I can't say how good it is.

How about an edible printer, projector, air-brush, etc. Wow, what fun I could have at my cake supply store.

gmcakes Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 3:15pm
post #15 of 18

Cake decorating is an obsession for me (as is hunting for my DH)! I have an edible image printer and a professional model airbrush...but, great minds DO think alike! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I was wondering about a projector! A woman can never have too many cake decorating toys...I just haven't figured out where I can put it!!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 3:20pm
post #16 of 18

I love my projector. It is the perfect thing to go with your airbrush!

gmcakes Posted 16 Apr 2006 , 3:56pm
post #17 of 18

Ok, just placed my order with KA!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Ordered a new coated flat beater, the new 11-wire whip and, thanks to another forum on CC...checked out the outlet store and ordered another bowl (refurbished-only $19, what a steal!)

We just moved into a new home in the last 18 mos. Talked to DH about the tree idea, he loved it. However, since we have NO shade/trees anywhere near our house...we have decided to upgrade from a small tree, to a 30 gallon Live Oak (DH found one for $130). It will be a nice addition to our property and I think it will be a wise investment for our money. icon_lol.gif

I am still considering purchasing a projector, but for right now I am leaning towards starting a savings account, that I can add to with my cake money! icon_wink.gif

I think she would be proud of my choices! thumbs_up.gif

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 6:06pm
post #18 of 18

Very sorry for your loss. If you think your grandmother would have wanted you to have fun with this money then I think that's what you should do. icon_wink.gif

If I just had $400 all for me I'd get my hair done and then spend the rest on clothing. I need new clothes in the worst way! I feel like frump girl most of the time. It would be so nice to have some cute clothes for a change.

Since this is from your grandmother though, I wonder if a piece of jewelry would be better. A ring or something that you could wear all the time to remind you of her.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%