Do You List Cake Mix Ingredients On Your Label?

Business By meggylou Updated 16 Apr 2007 , 1:28pm by mjw15618

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 14

I am working my first craft fair next month, and I have to make labels for everything. I use cake mix for my cakes and cake bites. Should I copy the cake mix ingredient list off the box or just list "Betty Crocker white cake mix"? Do I list "oreos" or the ingredient list off the oreo package for my chocolate dipped oreos?

TIA-
meg

13 replies
azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 14

That is a good question. I'd like to know as well as I'm thinking about doing a farmers market this summer.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 14

You are supposed to list all of the ingredients. That means, if you say cake mix, you have to list all of the ingredients in that product as well.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 14

I came across this problem as well. There are only 5 or so ingredients in cookies, but a lot more really when you have to list all of the ingredients of the ingredients! LOL!! I do it like this:

I hate it, but it's what I have to do. Don't forget your food colorings as well, as I've heard some people are allergic to them, especially red for some reason.

Azterp-
I'd like to know how your farmer's market goes, if you decide to do it. I was thinking about doing my local one, but I would have to get a separate license to sell in another location, join their 'market' organization, buy a tent, make a sign, commit to every Saturday, give 15% of my profit to them every week, blah, blah, blah. Too much for me right now. Maybe next year.

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

I hate it, but it's what I have to do. Don't forget your food colorings as well, as I've heard some people are allergic to them, especially red for some reason.

Wanna hear something gross? Its because some red food color dye is made from crunched up beetles, and some people have an allergy to that. (Really. No joke.)

Lia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lia Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeepgrl

Quote:
Quote:

Wanna hear something gross? Its because some red food color dye is made from crunched up beetles, and some people have an allergy to that. (Really. No joke.)

ew. that is so disgusting. i don't think i'll be eating red food anymore haha

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

This is why I buy the horrendously expensive but bug free colors. icon_lol.gif

(Watch, it'll probably have something worse than bug parts) icon_razz.gif

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

It's true...I saw the red food dye report on the news. I knew it was some kind of bug. Gross!

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

Its in red licorice. I have a friend whos super-hardcore vegan and he won't eat red licorice because of whatever the kind of red dye. But he can eat twizzlers. (Gross.)

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 14

I have a legal home bakery. When I was being inspected, the inspector told me that all ingredients are to be listed on each and every label on every item that leaves my home. For instance, if you're printing a label for chocolate chip cookies, you have to list every ingredient IN every ingredient. Example, flour (include ingredients); sugar (include ingredients), and so on. Makes for a long label, but that's what I do to stay within NC's guidelines. HTH

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 10:31pm
post #11 of 14

Oh my! I didn't realize that was the reason for the allergy. Very interesting, to say the least.

Amy, I agree, very long label. I was shocked with the list and how long it was even though there are so few main ingredients in our products. Crazy!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 2:17am
post #12 of 14

icon_eek.gif bugs??!!! GROSS!

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 2:31am
post #13 of 14

All I can saw is eeewwww, bugs!

mjw15618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjw15618 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 1:28pm
post #14 of 14

I'm in Pa, too, and I vend at a local farmer's market. By Pennsylvania law, everything MUST be individually wrapped and individually labelled...i.e. if you're selling cookies, each cookies (or batch - say half a dozen) has to have a tag on it listing the ingredients. So if you're using a mix, you must list every ingredient in that mix. I sell individual pieces of cake, muffins, scones, cookies, etc, and printing up all of those labels is time consuming but it's necessary to be in compliance with the department of agriculture. I buy business card sheets made by Avery and print them out on the computer - the front has my business name and contact info and the back has the item name and ingredient list. Good luck at the craft fair!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%