What Are Your Pet Peeves?

Lounge By indydebi Updated 11 Aug 2007 , 11:49pm by heather2780

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 133

It's always the little things that make us nuts! My #1 is the mis-use of the three forms of the word "There" (there - their - they're).

Another one is repeating the last word of an acronym .... like when people say they have to stop at an "ATM Machine". "ATM" stands for Automatic Teller Machine so when people say "ATM Machine", they are actually saying "Automatic Teller Machine Machine".

Same with "VIN Number" -- they are saying "Vehicle Identification Number Number".

what are the dumb little things that make you go "aaauuuggghhhh!!!!!!"

132 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 133

Oh but there are soooooooo many pet peeves...hmm

1. People who smoke while making food (ALWAYS scared I am gonna find a butt in my food)

2. Seeing 6 or 7 men looking down one manhole, spending our tax money, and scratching their heads. Why does it take that many men???

3. Someone that just has to pick their nose while driving down the road.

I think I ought to stop LOL

Christi

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 133

Smokers that throw their butts on the ground or out of their car windows. Like they think that's an acceptable form of littering.

People that feel the need to specify the race of someone when it's not pertinent to the actual story.

People that hawk up phlegm and then swallow it....*gags*

Men who are physically challenged at the fine art of closing cupboards, drawers, and microwave doors. icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

.....Men who are physically challenged at the fine art of closing cupboards, drawers, and microwave doors. icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh yeah! my family sets their empty soda can on the kitchen island. If they would just shove it over another 3", it would fall into the trash can!

wgoat5 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 133

Oh thats a good one MaryJ....I can't stand walking into a kitchen with doors and drawers open....DH does this all the time...and why if they can take out the trash change the bag???

Oh another one...not changing the empty toilet paper roll...just laying the new one on top of the empty one!! icon_sad.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 133

I have so many! I hate it people hawk loogies...it's just the nastiest sound, and make me want to throw up. People who stand right outside of a building to smoke, but make you walk thru the smoke to get inside. Eating with your mouth opwn, or eating very loudly wit hyour mouth closed. I've been sitting at a dinner table before and felt like I could hear people chewing around me in surround sound. Folding towels wrong, dh not hanging clothes in the ame direction in the closet. People who let their kids run wild in a store, or let keep them at the table in a restaurant while the ycry or let them misbehave in a restaurant. If my kids act up, or would cry...we leave the table so we don't interrupt others dinner! Waiters who are super slow at getting your check to you....I could go on but you probably don't want me to!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 133

indydebi - that could have been me writing your post! how funny

This is so little and stupid but it drives me BONKERS - my husband will brush his teeth, sort of swipe the brush through the water, then lay the toothbrush dripping wet and still with foamy toothpaste on it right on the edge of the sink! And leaves it there! This happened Saturday moments after I just cleaned the bathroom! I ask him all the time to stop - just make me happy, rinse it off and put it away! I really believe there is a short in his brain that will not allow him to change this behavior.

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 133

Parents who feel the need scold their kids for being loud, and make more noise than the kids were.

indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachshortcake

Parents who feel the need scold their kids for being loud, and make more noise than the kids were.

aaauuuggghhh! That's my husband! And he does it in that really loud "whisper" that can be heard all the way down the block!

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 133

My entire family is incapable of closing a drawer or a closet door. It drives me completely nuts.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:59pm
post #11 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachshortcake

This drives me nuts too. Especially, in the middle of church. If they insist on making their child sit thru grown up church instead of sending them to the children's area, don't make more noise than them telling them to be quiet!

wgoat5 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 133

What about people who constantly talk at the movies
Or people who always gossip (never about anything good mind you, MIL is bad about this)

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 7:39pm
post #13 of 133

I agree with so many of the pet peeves here!!! tapedshut.gif

Here's another one of mine: When people have their cell phone ringers turned up to the highest volume level in public. Why does it need to be that loud?!?! I keep mine in my pocket, on vibrate. Then, no one else has to be bothered by it.

I also don't like obnoxious cell phone ring tones. Also, when people talk on their cell phones loudly in restaurants, movie theaters, the line in the grocery store, etc.

Guess that was more than one pet peeve. I get a little riled up when I start talking about rude cell phone etiquette. icon_mad.gif

wgoat5 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 8:03pm
post #14 of 133

A big pet peeve of mine is when you are at the hospital visiting a heart patient and somebodies cell goes off!!!!! icon_sad.gif Don't they know that cell phones are bad bad bad???

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 9:03pm
post #15 of 133

People who have to constantly worry about stuff like how much rain we're going to get over the summer and stuff. It's fine to say that we need rain but getting worked up about it isn't going to change anything (my MIL is really good at getting worked up).

People who blame other children for how their kids behave because the other children don't go to the "proper" church. I know parents like this and I just can't understand it because I know what can happen. I keep my kids away from kids based on behavior and I'm not saying that's wrong but my cousins were kept away from us for religious reasons and compared to them we're saints. icon_lol.gif

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 9:12pm
post #16 of 133

Love this thread. I have a problem with chewing with your mouth open too. I also hate hearing people chew. I have an in-law who actually woke me up, 2 rooms away at 5:30 a.m., from chewing on donuts. How do you do that?!?!?!?!

My hubby drives me nuts when he is correcting everyone's grammar. It's his pet peeve, but sometimes it annoys me. My friend did the same thing and they'd say it so others heard them. Not nice!

When people develop the accent of who they are talking to. My husband goes to work and becomes a country bumkin because everyone else talks that way. We reprogram him every night. Remember he likes to correct grammar. My dad did the same thing. Is this a guy thing?

I don't even want to go there with the 14 year old who baby talks.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 9:12pm
post #17 of 133

proper use of "well" and "good"

reminder:

you want a good steak, well done.

(good the adj., well the adv.)

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 9:17pm
post #18 of 133

People that never take joy in anything...always negative......

My students who never say "thank you" or "please"...and their parents who don't think manners are important. Of course, my biggest pet peeve is that they don't think learning is important either.

The families that keep having baby after baby, and don't take care of the ones they have already, and I have to support their kids!

Sorry....bad day at school....*sigh*

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 9:19pm
post #19 of 133

Apologies as I've written about this one before. In UK supermarkets they provide free flimsy carrier bags which I will admit can be the devil's own job to open - but it makes me mad to see the check out personnel helping out by licking their finger tips to moisten them sufficiently to get a purchase on the bags. Nice.... NOT!! Depending on my mood I may make a point of getting out a paper hanky, making a show of pretend spitting on it and them making towards their face as if to rub off a smudge on their cheek... just sharing my germs.

indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 9:25pm
post #20 of 133

Glorioustwelfth, you sound like someone I'd like to go shopping with! hahahaha!!! You go, girl!

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 9:55pm
post #21 of 133

Jodie - If you see this. I have been there and felt the same way. Education is important. I always have a lot of respect for teachers. I hope tomorrow is a good one.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 10:03pm
post #22 of 133

Meigan....tomorrow will be better for sure...it's Friday! icon_rolleyes.gif

I LOVE the kids...love them....it just gets to you every once in awhile.

kbarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbarr Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 10:08pm
post #23 of 133

My pet peeve is people who can't get off their cell phones. I am a sever and I hate it when people are on their phone while trying to order their food.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 10:50pm
post #24 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Oh another one...not changing the empty toilet paper roll...just laying the new one on top of the empty one!! icon_sad.gif

I have given up on this one. There are three empty rolls of toilet paper on the back of our toilet b/c he can't toss it into the garbage can (right next to the toilet) when it's empty.... gues it's along the same lines as the one whose family leaves the soda can 3" from the trash can. There is also the empty milk jug sitting on the counter b/c it can't go into the trash can as he walks out of the kitchen with the glass of milk! ... I could go on on this one but i'll stop here.

My biggest pet peeve when driving is when someone is in a turn lane and as turning goes into the other lane. It's ILLEGAL!! you're suppose to stay in your lane when turning, inside lane to inside lane, outside lane to outside lane. I usually see it coming but the other night the driver next to me barely missed me and only b/c I slammed on my brakes... GRRR

wgoat5 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 11:12pm
post #25 of 133

Or when someone keeps their blinkers on for miles!!!! GRRR

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 1:07am
post #26 of 133

People who ride with babies in their laps or even worse drive with them in their laps on the highway going 55. That and the cops who could pull them over but don't. North Dakota doesn't have seat belts for anyone as a primary law but the reservation we live by does and they never ticket people for it. I don't have an issue with older kids not in boosters but when you have a 6 month old child that's a little different and these people are all over.

Five year olds out on busy gravel roads on their bikes unsupervised, I see them all summer and I'm always afraid they're going to run out in front of me. The scary thing is that the roads have a 45MPH limit and most people drive at least 10 over that unless the roads are really bad.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 1:26am
post #27 of 133

Chewing with your mouth open, talking with food in your mouth, leaving socks / underwear in the floor, failure to flush a toilet, hairy toes / noses, toothpicks hanging out of mouths, baseball caps work askew, waistbands that hang to knees, bra straps showing beneath tanks, chipped nail polish, people who use "scooters" when they need to be walking (leave the scooters for the old folks and people with disabilities other than lazy), people who wait five minutes for a parking lot and hold up the line when they could simply walk their tails an extra three spaces, people who go five miles below the posted speed limit (unless they're old, they get mulligans), women who dress their daughters like skanks, chubby girls thinking they need to wear ultra low cut jeans in a size 5 when they need to be in something with a bit more give, postage stamps that don't have the money amount printed on them (yes, I still have 13 cent stamps).

List is long, but there you go.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 1:49am
post #28 of 133

[quote="leily"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

My biggest pet peeve when driving is when someone is in a turn lane and as turning goes into the other lane. It's ILLEGAL!! you're suppose to stay in your lane when turning, inside lane to inside lane, outside lane to outside lane. I usually see it coming but the other night the driver next to me barely missed me and only b/c I slammed on my brakes... GRRR

Oh where do i start!

Yes Illegal lane changes.....Saw many accidents during construction by my house.

Parents who never cut there kids nails....grossssssss!

Not being greeted at a store.

People who smoke and have a ash tray but never use it! I work by a window that is next to where all the people smoke. Two butt holders right there and butts all over the ground. And then the homeless come pick them up and smoke them!

Need I say more!

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 2:05am
post #29 of 133

dang....I'm feeling SO many of these pet peeves!
The folded towels one....smokers throwing their butts out a car window.....specifying racial backgrounds.....obnoxious cell phone ring tones (why can't a cell phone just ring? Why? why? Why must it play the newest r&B song???)

Some of my own:
a snoring husband who refuses to stop drinking the wine or beer each night before bed that exasperates the snoring.

a kid that just had a birthday party or something special for them, and stil find a reason to complain about something (ugh....just wanna smack some sense into them)

when people say "a bad omen" (uhhhhh, hello? Omen MEANS " a bad wish"....so when someone says "a bad omen" it's like they're saying "a bad bad wish"
Or should I have typed THERE saying? Or THEIR saying??? (nah, I know it's They're saying) Just threw that one in there for indydebi!

Oh yeah....don't let me forget the women who insist on wearing thongs that completely hang out above their jean waistline. Isn't the point of thongs to not have an underwear line? So why let everyone see the thong? Mind boggling.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 2:46am
post #30 of 133

Ok, I couldn't resist:

Tailgaters
People who block the entire supermarket aisle while searching for their one item
People who throw trash out of their car windows
Cashiers who process your whole transaction without saying a word to you (I call this the wordless transaction) and then if I say a loud sarcastic "thank you" they say "you're welcome" for what?? spending my money!!??

I know I have more and if I think of them I'll be back!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%