mudpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudpie Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 18

hosting? guest? Any special dessert?

17 replies
NeeNee30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NeeNee30 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 18

Hey... well, every year since I was a child, we have gone to my mom's mom, my Granny's house. And since I have gotten married and had kids, we still do that every year. Which she only lives a couple of miles away, but it is neat that I can remember when my cousins and I hid/found eggs in her yard, and now here we are years later, and it's OUR kids doing it!! (Sorry very sentimental about my grandparents and how blessed I am to have had them around for so long, and now my kids......)

Not sure what dessert I am taking.... Have thought about a cake...but not sure what flavors......

How about you, you didn't say what your plans were.

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 18

I think that is a fantastic tradition family is so important and unfortunately many people don't understand that. Just think, you are forming such wonderful memories for your children - you know you are because you remember doing that as a child.

We were suppose to travel to see my family but our son has gotten or rather that horrible virus has gotten a hold of our son so right now we are not too sure icon_sad.gif

NeeNee30 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 18

You are so right about forming family traditions!! We have so many with my mom's side of the family and we are all very close!! And I am so glad that my kids are able to experience so much of what we did as kids!! icon_biggrin.gif

I am so sorry to hear that your son has come down with a virus!!! I truly hope that he gets to feeling better; and you guys get to visit your family!!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 18

I wish we had a tradition...I remember going to my grandparents house when I was little, with all of my cousins hunting for easter eggs, but they're gone now.....I have no living grandparents.

Dh's family doesn't do anything...they have a large family and someone is always fighting with someone else, so we just tend to stay back out of all of that!

We have easter baskets for our boys and we'll hide easter eggs for them, but I remember last year or the year before...me & dh sat in our kitchen and ate tacos!

I wish we had something better to do.

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 18

)I was just informed that I will be spending it alone icon_sad.gif . Let me back up, My bf family called to invite us to a local restaurant (one that is beautiful and VERY busy). My bf said no right away and I agreed (we both worked in grocery business (me for 10yrs) him for 19yrs so needless to say we really hate crowds for the holidays. He was very adament to his mother about the meaning of the word NO. Well, this sunday he informs me that I need to make dinner later in the evening on Easter as he's going to dinner w/his family icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif . Yea I wasn't very happy about that!! I am very traditional in a sense, I guess my feeling is that there is nothing but home cooking on the holidays, whether I cook or someone in the family does (as long as they can cook icon_lol.gif ) His excuse was his mother was playing a guilt trip on him, I said "that's ok" as You have to LIVE w/me and I'm worse than your mother!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gif

So let's just say it has been very peaceful in my house since Sunday icon_biggrin.gif . HEEE as I'm not talking. My son and I (he's 12) will find some really cool things to do that day and start our own family tradition!!!!

I hope that everyone here has an absolutely great day on Easter and dosen't eat alot of cake!!!!!!! icon_wink.gif

klg1152 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 18

mmdd - why not start your own tradition - how would you like to spend the day?

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 1:39am
post #8 of 18

We're doing an egg hunt for our kids and decorating cookies and eggs to give to the grandparents when they come by. We hide their baskets so they have to go look for them when they wake up. Easter used to be one of my favorite holidays, but my MIL makes it into such a big deal about what she got for the kids and how much it costs and blah, blah, blah. Actually she does that every holiday. Fortunately the kids aren't old enough to understand what her motives are....ANYWAY, sorry about that!! We make it fun for the kids! We started our own thing!

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 1:49am
post #9 of 18

I think we are having dinner with my grandma (moms side) My parents always do easter baskets for us, but i dont know if im getting one this year. I think I've aged out of it. icon_wink.gif I also think I'm working, so I will start my day at 2:30am, with my TRADITIONAL Tim Hotorn's large French Vanilla. Oh yea, and of course I'm doing a cake. Havent decided on the flavour of filling, but the cake will be chocolate. I know how im decorating it already (i've been thinking of it for the last three weeks icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif )

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 11:22am
post #10 of 18

EATIN' RAVIOLIES!!!!!!!!

Easter is my fav celebration dinner b/c we have homemade raviolies, brachiole (rolled stuffed steak), meatballs, salad, and yummy desserts. My husband began drooling for Easter this past weekend.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 12:04pm
post #11 of 18

We have two little boys, so we'll do Easter baskets, then go to church. We are going to my in laws for dinner, and will probably hide eggs there for the boys. DH's sister and her family moved to Texas after Christmas, so it won't be as much fun this year. My family are all out of state! I usually take dessert, but my mil just found out she's diabetic, so not sure what I'm taking now.

mmdd Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 5:07pm
post #12 of 18

I would love to cook a big dinner and have everyone come over, but it would never happen. Let's see...my mom would come but be about 2 1/2 hours late as thats her usual time to arrive to anything. My so called father abandoned me when they divorced, so....my older brother will be out on the road driving a truck, and his wife never comes around anyway. My younger brother would come, I just know he would, but we lost him 3 yrs ago due to a drunk driver, he would have been 25 on april 6, we lost his fiancee and his best friend, too. My cousins all fight amongst each other...I don't know why, probably because some of them have wealth and the others dont so they tend to steal from them, even steal mac n cheese!!!!

Dh's family, let's see, his dad would come definitely, but he lost his mom 4 years ago. His sister has disowned everyone b/c of her new husband~he threatened to shoot everyone...why? b/c they asked for their tiller back. one brother won't go to any family functions b/c of his wife, she's a b**** ( and I don't ever call anyone that), another brother has his head stuck up his new g/f you know what, lol, another brother lives 3 hours away and they're expecting a baby soon, and his other brother and sister live in another state!

Boy, am I rambling here????

But, seriously, I guess I could make a dinner and fil would come. Maybe my mother...but that's all that would show. We go to everything we're invited to, but noone ever comes here...don't know why....I told my dh that if I knew his family was this messed up I never would have got involved with him, but then someone said hey you love him, not his family, so, anyway....I'll just be grateful that I have my family and can start any tradition that I choose, hmm....what should we do????

Thanks for letting me vent, jax, hope you don't mind what all I had to say, but its' the truth!

There ya have it! That's my family! (yes, i try to ignore that fact whenever possible, lol!!!)

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 5:16pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot_Contessa

EATIN' RAVIOLIES!!!!!!!!

Easter is my fav celebration dinner b/c we have homemade raviolies, brachiole (rolled stuffed steak), meatballs, salad, and yummy desserts. My husband began drooling for Easter this past weekend.

I'm drooling just reading that! Sounds yummy!! I think we're doing a tenderloin and roasted asparagus.

klg1152 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 5:22pm
post #14 of 18

Yikes, mmdd - sorry to hear all of that, I am now a little more thankful for my family. I guess my only suggestion is to start a 'new' tradition with just your boys and your husband. Wishing you many blessing.....jax

NeeNee30 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 6:04pm
post #15 of 18

mmdd, I just really feel the need to give you a BIG *HUG*!!! I am sorry to hear all of that about your family. I agree with Jax, you and your DH should start a new tradition for you both and your boys!! Whatever you want!! If you want to include your mother and FIL, do, if not, don't. (BTW, tell your mom to be there 2 1/2 hours earlier than what time you want to start icon_wink.gif )
Also wishing you blessings on your family!
Trish

mmdd Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 6:05pm
post #16 of 18

Hey! I just read in the paper that they will be having an easter egg hunt in the rec park...maybe we'll have to go there! That'll get us out of the house too, Ugh! I feel like I'm here all of the time!!

I'm sure people have worse lives like I do(I mean, I could be stealing mac n cheese, lol) so I'm pretty happy, I just wish all of these family members could figure out that what they're doing isn't working. (oh no, here comes the dr phil in me talking) LOL!!

I hope everyone has a good one!!

NeeNee30 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 6:20pm
post #17 of 18

An Easter egg hunt in the park sounds fun!! You guys should do that!! I know exactly what you mean about getting out of the house!! I got married when I was 18, had my 1st son a month after I turned 19. My second 3 years after that. I worked 2 days a week and my boys pediatrican's office for about 7 years, then my husband changed jobs and got a pay raise, so we decided I would stay home full-time. Don't get me wrong, I do love being home, and being able to go on fieldtrips and to class parties, but sometimes you just crave adult conversations and time out of the house!!!

I am blessed to have a very close family (on my mom's side). But don't get me wrong, we are not perfect by any means, but we are there for each other, no matter what, which means so much to me!!

Now, my dad's side of the family is a little different. I do love them, but I don't see them but a couple of times a year, b/c everyone is spread out. My dad's parents got divorced when I was about 11. My (paternal) grandfather is someone that I choose not to see (for personal reasons) unless I just don't have a choice. Which means, if he happens to be visiting my dad or if I see him at a funeral or something.

Anyway, I truly hope that you have a wonderful Easter and maybe you guys are starting a new tradition with the Easter egg hunt!!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 1:06am
post #18 of 18

We're celebrating easter with friends. Since we all live outside our home countries, we've decided to celebrate with 4 other families. Everyone will bring something for easter brunch and we all hunt for eggs together, starting tomorrow with the easter egg colouring. I'll make a desert (what else) Gigantic fried eggs. Made one for school today, as it's the last schoolday before the hols. The kids went bananas over the cake. Don't know how to attach to this post but will upload it into the gallery

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%