Need Some Help...re: "lace" Design On Wedding Cake

Decorating By golfgirl1227 Updated 13 Apr 2006 , 1:07am by TamiAZ

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 16

I have a bride who has decided to change her cake (not last minute, so we're good there!). She wants a "lace" design on the cake, which is all buttercream. Other than cornelli lace, are there any other techniques to simulate lace on the cake. I'm really drawing a blank here. I asked her to email me a picture of what she's thinking since it could be a thousand things, but she doesn't have any. She wants me to send her some pics and she will tell me if they are what she's thinking.

I know about the impression molds for fondant (I have one) but I'm not sure about BC. Any pics or links to websites would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,
Suz

15 replies
Justcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justcakes Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 16

Check out www.elegantlacemolds.com

I've only used them with fondant. They are really pretty and inexpensive compared to the silicone lace molds.

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 16

I just checked out that site you listed Justcakes. WOW that cake on the home page is out of this world!!!! I want to do that!!!! I'll be looking into that site more when I get the chance!! Thanks for posting it!

golfgirl, the impression mold you have...is it lacey? I would think it would work on a crusted BC as well, you just wouldn't want to apply as much pressure to it when pressing it. I think this bride needs to be looking for ideas she likes and sending them to you! Not the other way around!!! How are you supposed to know what she likes and doesn't like! And why does she think you have all that time to be hunting down these different looks (unless you do have the time and would rather look yourself of course>wink<.

Anyhoo, I wish you the best with this cake and bride! Some brides are just not sure what they want!! Let us know how everything goes!!
blessings
elly

golfgirl1227 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 16

I know, I know!

She doesn't have a clue. She's a sweet girl though. I suppose she assumes that I know everything- which is a nice thought, but unfortunately I don't!!!!

Thanks for the help everyone. Keep the ideas coming!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 16

There was a post (this site, different forum) on using vinyl placemats, etc, and rolling it over fondant for a lace impression. Looked interesting, but no experience here.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 16

Cakes by Sam sells some of the lace wraps. Look on her site and also someone mentioned Elegant Lace. CalJava has a bunch on their site. If Sam isn't busy she will answer your questions and so will Elegant Lace. I wish I knew how to link you up but I just don't. I am going to learn to do this.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 16

icon_smile.gif Doing it by Fondant is much easier and faster, and you have better control of it.

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 16

Maybe she means with drop strings. I have seen them used so they look like lace.

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 10:25pm
post #9 of 16

I am also thinking of lace work using sugar veil or royal icing?

golfgirl1227 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 16

I have the lace molds to be used with fondant, but she doesn't want fondant, so we're back to square one.

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 2:07am
post #11 of 16

Could she be talking about the lace work done with sugar veil or royal icing? That kind of piping is gorgeous but very time consuming.

-S

golfgirl1227 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 2:36am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susecita

Could she be talking about the lace work done with sugar veil or royal icing? That kind of piping is gorgeous but very time consuming.

-S

Who knows? I sure hope not!!!! I mean, it is beautiful- but I can envision some serious wrist pain doing that on a 5 tier cake!

I've emailed her again and attached some pictures of some different things and asked her to let me know if any of it is close. We'll see.

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 2:53am
post #13 of 16

maybe you could use a real(wide) piece of actual lace and use to imprint over crusted buttercream,like I've seen done with papertowels that have designs!? I would certainly think if a papertowel can do the trick than so could lace.then again I'm no expert

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 5:19pm
post #14 of 16

can she at least show you a photo of what exactly she wants ?
you can't keep guessing for her. icon_smile.gif

golfgirl1227 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 5:46pm
post #15 of 16

Well, she liked the design on one of the pictures I sent her, so I think we're going with that. This week anyway!

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I *wish* I had the Sugar Veil system, I would have definitely convinced her to do something like that.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 1:07am
post #16 of 16

Here's another idea... I did this practice cake using Paula Stock cutters.. I bought mine awhile ago from Rosemary Watson, so I'm not sure who else carries them. You cut the pieces out of fondant and they can be placed on fondant or buttercream. You outline each piece and then connect them. They are really cool cutters and you can do a ton of different designs with them.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%