Best Way To Ice Mini Easter Egg Cakes?

Decorating By AJsMom Updated 12 Apr 2006 , 12:09am by TJSCAKES

AJsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsMom Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 14

Does anyone have a good technique for icing mini easter egg cakes (from the Wilton pan that bakes 8 mini cakes at a time)? I had a tough time holding each egg in my hand and ice with BC at the same time.

Thanks!

13 replies
Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 14

Great question, I will be watching as I have a whole ziplock bag full of these eggs waiting to be iced for my basket cake I am making for Easter. Was thinking of icing a couple of halves together to make a whole one...what do you think?

sectheatre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sectheatre Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 14

I actually just did 3 dozen of these!!! icon_smile.gif You can check them out here:
http://www.lifelove.smugmug.com/gallery/1166364
(starting on the second page).

I don't like all of them, but some of them I do. I frosted them laying down on waxed paper and used only tips to cover. They were too small and crumbly to spread with a knife.

-Sarah

AJsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsMom Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 14

A couple ideas for icing 2 halves...you could "glue" the halves together with icing and put a lollipop stick in the middle. Then stick the lollipop stick into a piece of styrofoam or directly into the cake to decorate. Or use toothpicks to stand the egg up (like a tripod).

Disclaimer: I've never done either one...these are just suggestions of what I would try if I were in your shoes. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Samsgranny Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks, AJsmom, great idea, I will give it a try. Sectheatre-great eggs!

krzz18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krzz18 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 14

have you ever used poured fondant??? I think thats what its called...you can color it eastery colors! I assume you can put the cakes on a wire rack and pour the fondant over it...

sectheatre Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 14

Poured fondant was my first idea, but it didnt' work so well for me. I think I just made it WAY too think. It should have worked just fine. I was also using an eggless cake which is very light so it didn't have the structure to hold up the hard crust.

Someone on another group recently suggested poured ganache. I have a few eggs left and think I am going to give this a try. (These are the normal egg-included cakes)

I've also seen pictures here with just regular rolled fondant. They were pretty cute.

-Sarah

Samsgranny Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 14

One more question...if I use the poured fondant then can I use buttercream icing to pipe over the fondant or will it not stick?

sectheatre Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 14

The buttercream should stick just fine.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 14

I would suggest ganache, poured fondant...or even melted chocolate! You can get the different colored candy melts (on sale now for easter) in every easter color you can think of...that would be really pretty. They get nice and firm too...so they should be easier to handle and package.

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 14

my mom always did the poured fondant, which is what i'm going to attempt this easter. seemed pretty easy.

Samsgranny Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 6:52pm
post #12 of 14

Whoosh! KHalstead, I wish I had read your note before I dashed out to lunch as I just got back from Mike's! Oh, well, a quick stop on the way home! Thanks for the great idea, now I don't have to use up my precious powdered sugar making poured fondant...is my piped buttercream going to stick to the chocolate melts?

sectheatre Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 9:29pm
post #13 of 14

Can I ask a stupid question? I am pretty new to all this...
What is the difference in covering a cake in ganache vs melted chocolate-as far as taste, texture, etc?

Thanks

TJSCAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJSCAKES Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 12:09am
post #14 of 14

I plan on making a bunch this week and I'm using the poured ganache recipe from the Wilton website. It's just one bag of candy melts and 1/2 cup heavy cream. I read on there that it works pretty well and tastes good. I'll post pics when I finish.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%