Woo Hoo!! I Made Imbc For The First Time Tonight..

Decorating By FromScratch Updated 9 May 2007 , 7:09pm by awolf24

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:55am
post #1 of 15

I was nervous, but it came out perfect. I used Shirley's recipe minus the orange extract because I didn't have any on hand. It is so yummy and so creamy and smooth.. it's amazing. Yes it is buttery, but I really like it. I can't wait to try to decorate with it. I made txkat's Vanilla Cognac cake (I stole a little nibble while it was cooling and YUM!) and made homemade bavarian cream and strawberry filling to put in it.. I can't wait until tomorrow to make it.. LOL

I have learned so much from this site.. MANY MANY MANY TANK YOU'S to everyone!!!

14 replies
darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:11am
post #2 of 15

I need to try it again. I have tried twice and the second time was very close. I may try it again this weekend.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:13am
post #3 of 15

I need to try again too. I've made it once and failed big time. Maybe I'll try Shirley's recipe too.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:04am
post #4 of 15

Wow! That's going to be one heck of a cake!!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:46am
post #5 of 15

Oh good! I am always happy to get feedback when I have recommended a recipe. Glad you liked it and it worked well for you. Do try it sometime with that bit of orange extract along with the vanilla, it adds a nice fresh taste to the icing without really tasting like citrus.

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:47am
post #6 of 15

that makes me hungry for cake....I wonder how long we can make cakes and crave them too?

FromScratch Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 15

I will Shirley.. I meant to grab some at the store but I totally forgot.. Next time I make it I will be sure I have some.. Now I have to bring it to room temp so I can frost the cake..

txkat.. I made a double batch and baked it in two 8 inch pans and one 6 inch pan and I made the 6 inch one last night.. torted it into 3 layers and made one bavarian cream and one strawberry filling and frosted it with the IMBC and it was to DIE for. My DH ate 1/2 of the 6 inch cake in one sitting.

Shirley's recipe was really easy to follow.. make sure you have a candy thermometer and follow her instructions. When I first got all the butter in I was a bit scared because it was very loose, but it just needed to cool off more to come together. It really is smooth as silk.. not gritty at ALL.. and really good. I had a hard time though not eating the meringue while it was whipping and cooling off in the mixer.. LOL.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 15

Sounds delicious!

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 15

Can you decorate with the IMBC?

Julie

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:57pm
post #10 of 15

Oh that sounds SO yummy.

Can I use a bit of Lorann's orange oil in place of the orange extract? I've been wanting to try ShirleyW's recipe and just bought the butter for it.

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:02pm
post #11 of 15

I am trying this recipe! Every time I have tried a FBCT I have failed miserably!icon_cry.gif

FromScratch Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:03pm
post #12 of 15

Yes you can decorate with it.. it is rather soft when it is warm, but if you keep it cool (not cold or it'll be too hard) I don't see why you couldn't decorate with it at all.

abeverley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeverley Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:09pm
post #13 of 15

what is IMBC?

FromScratch Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:15pm
post #14 of 15

IMBC is italian meringue buttercream. It is a meringue based buttercream frosting that uses a cooked sugar syrup and eggwhites and butter instead of powdered sugar and butter (and/or shortening). It is really nice to work with and it doesn't have that gritty texture of traditional "american" buttercream.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:09pm
post #15 of 15

Made ShirleyW's recipe about 2 weeks ago. It is SO amazing. I don't think I'll use regular ole' "American" BC again unless requested!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%