Floral Help!

Business By violetbutterflyz Updated 12 Apr 2007 , 3:33am by thedessertdiva

violetbutterflyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
violetbutterflyz Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 13

My sister and I are in the works of opening our own business, we are debating on wedding cakes and fresh flowers. Do you usually put the flowers on the cake yourself or do you instruct the florist on how to do it?

12 replies
nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 13

You put the flowers on the cake yourself. Wilton makes these special little tubes that you can insert into the cake and add like a teaspoon of water to it and place the flower stems in it. When I get home I'll find the name of the product and respond back, its in one of my wilton books

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 13

Do it yourself. I have heard too many horror stories about what the florists do when you are not looking.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 13

nsouza
Wow, had never heard of these. I anxiously await your info. icon_biggrin.gif

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsouza

You put the flowers on the cake yourself. Wilton makes these special little tubes that you can insert into the cake and add like a teaspoon of water to it and place the flower stems in it. When I get home I'll find the name of the product and respond back, its in one of my wilton books

\\

they are called flower spikes. wilton sells them in a pack of either ten or twelve for about 2.50 they are a like a two inch tube that is pointy and closed off at the bottom to be pushed into the cake and to hold the flower stem and water. you can use a dropper to place water inside. they are about 1/3 inch wide, so they will only hold a flower or two. you'd probably need something else if you are using a large arrangement.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 13

I always put the flowers on the cake ..... ALWAYS! The bride ordered a decorated cake from me and it's not decorated until *I* put the flowers on the cake where *I* need them put on. Most florists are more than happy to hear I am taking care of it. If the florist fu**s up my cake, then it's my name that's thrown around as "the baker of the ugly cake". No one remember that it was someone ELSE who placed the flowers on it all wrong.

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 13

I have placed a piece of parchment or plastic saucer on top of the cake and put a mound of icing on top of that--and arranged the flowers in the icing. The flowers never touch the top of the cake, and when it is time to serve the cake, I just remove the saucer or paper and cut.
It's an idea anyway. Good luck on your business! thumbs_up.gif

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 13

I always put the flowers on the cake ..... ALWAYS! The bride ordered a decorated cake from me and it's not decorated until *I* put the flowers on the cake where *I* need them put on. Most florists are more than happy to hear I am taking care of it. If the florist fu**s up my cake, then it's my name that's thrown around as "the baker of the ugly cake". No one remember that it was someone ELSE who placed the flowers on it all wrong.

Amen--my sister!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 13

Some where at CC I read that the baker is the one in charge of desinging the cake, not the florist, so the baker has a better idea of what the flowers should look like.
I took floral arrangement classes exaclty for that reason. Some times the customer brings the floral arrangements and the cake just doesn't look good.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:00am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

well said,

violetbutterflyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
violetbutterflyz Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:04am
post #12 of 13

Thanks for the input I will show this to her, I thought the same and she didn't want to be responsible for the flowers but I am under the impression the florist is gonna say "that's in your job description not mine"...lol You are all completly right. Thanks again!

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:33am
post #13 of 13

I sugar and glaze and candy my own flowers for many cakes. I buy all of my flowers direct from an organic grower and work closely with the wedding cake baker. I am the last step before it goes to the reception or bride, DO NOT order your flowers for cakes from a florist...bad, bad idea. If you hve the space or time, grow your own, that is the best bet. Here is a list of the best flowers to use:

Begonia/sweet & lemony/fruit salads, desserts
Borage/cucumber-like/salads
Calendula/slightly tangy/salads, soups, dips, spreads
Chive Blossoms/midly oniony/salads, soups
Cornflowers
Daisy/mild/salads
Dandelion/mild/soups
Daylily/range from sweet to tart/salads
Dianthus/like clove or nutmeg/salads
Forget-Me-Not
Hollyhock/mild/salads, main dishes
Lavender/sweet/fruit salads, desserts
Lilac/highly aromatic/beverages, desserts
Marigold/citrusy/salads, soups, main dishes
Nasturtium/watercress-like/salads, egg dishes
Pansy/mild, like lettuce/salads, main dishes
Rose/highly aromatic/beverages, desserts
Squash Blossoms/slightly sweet/salads, egg dishes
Viola (Johnny-Jump-Up)/mild/salads, desserts
Violets/sweet/fruit salads, desserts

You may use scented geranium leaves with any flower listed to decorate cakes. You may also eat the blossoms from vegetables or herbs

I make them and deliver them or ship them out if needed depended on where the wedding cake is being made. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%