Ribbon On Cake-Help!

Decorating By Lauree Updated 12 Apr 2007 , 1:32pm by Lauree

Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 6

How do you apply the silk/satin ribbon border to bc cake...how long before the event can you put it on and does bc stain it? how do you attach it together on the back of the cake? how do you prevent the icing from staining through the ribbon?? TIA!!

5 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 6

I spray my ribbon down with Pam before attaching it - it doesn't make a big difference in the look and you don't have to worry about spotty grease. You can put it on as long as you want to before serving. I don't think it will stain the BS unless you get a reeeeally low quality brand. You can attach it to the back of the cake with just a dab of BC.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 6

I think it depends on the type of ribbon you use. I've never had a problem with the grease-bleed-thru.

kr1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kr1970 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 6

what type of ribbon did you use? do you use royal icing to attach to fondant? K

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 6

Ok, I went over and pulled my box of ribbon on hand. Most of them do not list the materials it's made of. There are some sheer ribbon with a darker edge; some sheer gold with wire edging (I don't recommend wire edged ribbon .... very difficult to work with); 2 are polypropylene; 1 is polyester (but I don't remember using this one - It may be just an extra that I threw in).

I use 100% buttercream for everything .... crumb coating, icing, flowers, borders, roses, etc.

Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the help! I'm going to put in on a wedding cake for a friend in a couple of weeks so I think I will try on a practice cake this weekend. I had read somewhere on here about the bleed-thru issue and was concerned-now I feel much better! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%