Whimsy Cake Wire Question...help Please!

Decorating By stamphalifax Updated 26 Apr 2007 , 11:29pm by Michele25

stamphalifax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stamphalifax Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 11

I'm wondering what kind of wire to use on a whimsy cake I am making for Saturday. I need to have some gumpaste bugs "flying" around the cake!

I've checked out wire in the floral section of my craft store but it stated on the package that it should be used "for decorative use only". Does that mean it shouldn't come into contact with food?

Should I look for a fabric covered wire? Is using a bare wire dangerous?

If anyone has suggestions I'd really appreciate them!

Thanks.

10 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 11

People do it a few ways. Some(including me) wrap the part of the wire that will go into the cake with floral tape. Some take suran wrap and wrap it around the part of the wire that will go into the cake. Another way is, someone mentioned covering that part of the wire with fondant. So theres a few options=) I am sure someone else will come up with another one! HTH some, Jen

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 11

yep, all of newbiebakers suggestions, plus add in press and seal... it works great too. never put a bare wire in, it will rust in no time at all.

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 11

When I add wire decorations to cake, I usually insert plastic drinking staws (cut to fit) first, then put the wire inside the straws, so the part of the cake in contact with the wire doesn't have contact with the rest of the cake, and doesn't get served, because it's stuck inside the straw...does that make sense? icon_confused.gif Not sure if I explained it clearly...

stamphalifax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stamphalifax Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 11

Those are all great suggestions! That way it doesn't really matter what kind of wire I buy!!

Thank you!

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 11

I have used a flower pic (wilton). This also helps keep the wires from cutting throught the cake and falling over.

hope that helps

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 11

I use drinking staws to keep the wire from touching the cake.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you for posting this question; I was getting ready to ask the very same thing!! icon_smile.gif

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:12pm
post #9 of 11

When I made my New Year cake, I twisted the wires around the end of bamboo skewers and stuck that into the cake part. It worked well. To get movement, I then twisted the top part of the wire around a pencil before I attached the fondant parts.
LL

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:14pm
post #10 of 11

Just make sure the people serving the cake do not give the wires out! I had some one do this and a child was running around with it! Scarey! icon_eek.gif

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 11:29pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for all the great ideas!! I'm hoping to try one of these cakes soon, but wanted to get some instructions and tips first. Would've never thought of the "straw trick"!! thumbs_up.gif

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%