For Those Who Offer The Complimentary Cakes With Orders..

Business By FromScratch Updated 11 Apr 2007 , 6:41pm by cakesbyamym

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 6

I know that some of us offer a complimentary wedding tier for the bride and groom to have on their weddign anniversary.. do you give them the cake on the wedding day or do you make them a fresh cake on their anniversary? I was thinking abotu offering a voucher for a free 4 inch replica of their top tier for their anniversary so that they could have a nice fresh cake to really enjoy. What do you think about that? Good idea.. BAD idea?? I don't want to screw myself..

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 6

I currently do not charge for the top tier and don't count it as part of the number of servings. However, I've been part of a number of threads/discussions on this topic and we may re-think that with our next price review and offer a "fresh" 1st annversary tier coupon....the choice being up to the bride and groom. Having a free cake "coming" to them will help keep our name in their mind, especially when their friends get married. I'm throwing in the top tier for free .... what differnce does it make if I do it now or a year from now?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 6

Yeah.. that was my thought too.. keep the name fresh in their minds and give them a more pleasing experience eating the cake. The only thing I was thinking would be if I had orders on the day of the anniversary.. but as long as it is planned for.. I don't think a small 4-6 inch cake would be much of a pain.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 6

When I was first starting out a little over a year ago, I came across another bakery website where they offered a free anniversary cake FRESH for the couple's 1st anniversary. I thought that it was a splendid idea! Just a little something to set me apart, as well. On top of that, I also deliver a complimentary "honeymoon" cake to the reception for the couple to enjoy, as well. This has gotten me quite a few orders. It's a great idea, I believe, and a 6" cake is a minimal "loss" when you consider the cost of the actual wedding cake and referral customers.

icon_biggrin.gif

stephivey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephivey Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyamym

When I was first starting out a little over a year ago, I came across another bakery website where they offered a free anniversary cake FRESH for the couple's 1st anniversary. I thought that it was a splendid idea! Just a little something to set me apart, as well. On top of that, I also deliver a complimentary "honeymoon" cake to the reception for the couple to enjoy, as well. This has gotten me quite a few orders. It's a great idea, I believe, and a 6" cake is a minimal "loss" when you consider the cost of the actual wedding cake and referral customers.

icon_biggrin.gif

So do you do 2 free 6" cakes? I really like the fresh anniversary cake idea.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 6

I do. A 6" honeymoon cake, boxed and delivered to the reception site. Then, two weeks prior to the couple's first anniversary, I call them to set up a time for them to pick up their free anniversary cake. I haven't had a couple yet not love the idea of anything for free. icon_smile.gif I feel that it's a minimal expense, and one that I don't mind *eating* with what I'm being paid for the wedding cake. I like offering freebies for promotion here and there, and honestly, it works like a charm for me. It may be different for others in different areas, but for me, it's been a great business-builder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%