What Is Super Fine Sugar?

Decorating By ameena Updated 25 Sep 2004 , 3:15am by ameena

ameena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ameena Posted 24 Sep 2004 , 1:08am
post #1 of 4

My mother-in-law has some 70's and 80's decorating books from England. The icing recipes call for super fine sugar. Would that be icing sugar?

3 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 24 Sep 2004 , 1:50am
post #2 of 4

Granulated or white sugar is highly refined cane or beet sugar. This free-flowing sweetener is the most common form both for table use and for cooking. Granulated sugar is also available in cubes or tablets of various sizes, as well as a variety of textures. Superfine sugar, known in Britain as castor (or caster ) sugar, is more finely granulated. Because it dissolves almost instantly, superfine sugar is perfect for making meringues and sweetening cold liquids. It can be substituted for regular granulated sugar cup for cup. Confectioners' or powdered sugar is granulated sugar that has been crushed into a fine powder. To prevent clumping, a small amount (about 3 percent) of CORNSTARCH is added. Confectioners' sugar labeled XXXX is slightly finer than that labeled XXX but they can be used interchangeably and both may need to be sifted before using. Because it dissolves so readily, confectioners' sugar is often used to make icings and candy. It's also used decoratively, as a fine dusting on desserts. One and three-quarters (packed) cups confectioners' sugar equals 1 cup granulated sugar. Confectioners' sugar is called icing sugar in Britain and sucre glace in France. Decorating or coarse sugar (also called sugar crystals or crystal sugar ) has granules about four times larger than those of regular granulated sugar. It's used for decorating baked goods and can be found in cake-decorating supply shops and gourmet markets.

I hope this helps you ..

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 24 Sep 2004 , 6:39am
post #3 of 4

You can buy it at most grocery stores on the baking aisle. I have some in my cabinet. It's labeled, "Baker's Sugar/ Ultrafine Sugar."

As Vickie already said, it's great for making anything where the sugar absolutely must be 100% dissolved especially when making meringue... less chance of weeping.

ameena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ameena Posted 25 Sep 2004 , 3:15am
post #4 of 4

Thanks a bunch! I'll have to look for it in the grocery store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%