Birthday Bundt Cake Decorating???

Decorating By mari_golde Updated 9 Apr 2006 , 7:44am by mari_golde

mari_golde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mari_golde Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 1:36am
post #1 of 9

Hello my cake friends! I know you would be the ones to ask for assistance.

Okay - for lack of time, this is the CONDENSED version of my dilemma - the WHOLE version (otherwise known as a Vent) will be posted in 'Cake Disasters' once time permits:

I have to decorate a Bundt cake for an 81 year old man's birthday. This hole in the middle thing is really freaking me out - what do I do about it? the rounded shape of the cake doesn't lend itself to the typical shape very easily, thats for sure. Any ideas on what I should do?

HELPPPPPPP! icon_cry.gif

8 replies
pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 1:40am
post #2 of 9

I would do a yummy glaze! What kind of cake is it?

mari_golde Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 5:10am
post #3 of 9

oops - sorry - i guess that would help - it's a very rich lemon cake.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 5:14am
post #4 of 9

The first thing that cake to mind would be using lemon slices somehow to decorat the cake. May cut thin slices and somehow use them for the border??? icon_confused.gif

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 5:18am
post #5 of 9

I have seen a really cute bundt cake decorating idea in a book, it had snakes all coming out of the middle hole (as in a snake pit) and the cake seemed more masculine than a lot of other decorated cakes. The snakes were made by rolling one colour of fondant out into a sausage, pinching one end a little for a head( and if you feel clever rolling a different colour sausage and winding it around the other one and rolling again on the bench to create two tone snakes.) Stick on white dot eyes and poke small hole for a mouth and there you go! Make 4 or 5 and you have a cute bundt with a difference!

tbpromo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbpromo Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 5:27am
post #6 of 9

I always use a powdered sugar glaze and drizzle it over the cake "humps" and then sprinkle colored jimmies, confetti, sprinkle flowers or another design like stars or colored sugar and then insert a large silk flower in the "hole" - - it always looks quite festive! Good Luck!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 12:49am
post #7 of 9

One of the members here has made loads of Bundt cakes with figures coming out or standing in the middle hole. If you start a gallery search with Bundt, you get around 47 pictures of different kinds of bundt cakes. Good luck

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 1:04am
post #8 of 9

Any chance that you can pipe a wire-spoked hubcap from royal and lay it on the top to look like a tire? You can give it a whitewall tire look with icing or glaze.

If you go with the lemon slices, consider the candy slices they sell in better candy stores. You know, the sugar-coated pectin slices that they emboss with thin royal to look like sliced lemons, limes, oranges?

See this link for picture:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/jump.jsp?itemID=30082&itemType=PRODUCT&searchid=inceptor

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mari_golde Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 7:44am
post #9 of 9

THANK YOU ALL!!! What wonderful suggestions! I have finished decorating the cake and will post a picture a.s.a.p. You guys are the greatest...thank you again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%