Pre-Cut Cake Ideas?

Decorating By jnoel Updated 10 Apr 2007 , 6:51pm by canoewoman

jnoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnoel Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making dessert for a "Sunday Dinner" type meal my church is providing to some kids in a juvenile detention facility and their parents. I wanted to do some really pretty round cakes since these kids probably never get anything like that (I went to one special dinner there with the governor and the food was HORRIBLE - I can't imagine what they eat every day).

However, it just occured to me that we won't be able to (or want to) have a knife there to cut the cakes to serve them. So any suggestions? I'm now thinking pre-cut sheet cakes are the way to go, but is it better to do a little decoration on each square or do a simple decoration over the whole cake and then cut it? Any thoughts on the type of decorations?

I did consider cupcakes, but wanted something more like a family dinner dessert.

Thanks so much.

6 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 7

You could make some really pretty cupcake cakes - then all you'd have to do is pull each cupcake apart from the whole to eat. Nicer than a sheet cake imo!

nalyjuan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nalyjuan Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 7

I am not sure if this will help but what about some petit fours. Not sure if you want to go thru all that trouble though. Just a thought. HTH

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 7

How small were you thinking for the mini round cakes? Enough to feed 2 each, 4 each, or more?
Think about the setting--they will have forks, right? Will they have butter knives to butter bread or rolls or whatever? If so, I can't see why it would be a problem to use butter knives to cut the mini cakes. If they are only going to serve 2-4 people each, you could possibly go with popsicle sticks/tongue depressors to cut them.
If you do decide to go with the already cut sheet cakes, I would probably put a small flower or something on each slice--a lot of work, yes, but it really makes it seem more special than just cutting the design on top of the cake.
Good luck!!!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 7

I love pre- cut cakes with a decoration on each piece. Some how I always feel special when I get a whole flower of whatever centered on my piece rather than half of something on the edge. It just looks pretty on the plate.

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 7

if you pre-cut and try to ice it can get tricky so youll have to use an icer tip with a bag so you can ice it easier. I think i would cut it first and then ice cuz if you do it the other way around youll get crumbs in the icing. as far as decoration you could do one design on the whole or try and put one on each piece. hope this helps.

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 7

Exactly what I was thinking. That would be the only way to go to keep it safe and sanitary.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%