Road Going Up The Side Of Cake

Decorating By Lenette Updated 11 Apr 2007 , 2:18pm by Lenette

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 16

I've seen this done on a few of the cakes featuring the movie Cars or a race car theme. It looks like a kind of winding road going up and around a tiered cake. How do I do the road so it looks like it's curving around the side of the cake? Thanks! icon_smile.gif

15 replies
projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 16

I'm curious about this, too. I would like to do it for the yellow brick road on a W of Oz cake.

I have seen where Debbie Brown did it out of fondant on a fondant covered castle cake but I was wanting to do my cake in buttercream.

Did you want to make yours from fondant or buttercream?

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 16

I did a cake recently (in my gallery- about 1/2 way down) that's called Robban's Over the hill cake. If that is what you are looking for, I am happy to tell you what I did.

-Michelle

azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 16

I just did a road cake last week (check out my photos for the Road of Life cake).

I just stacked each layer, put it in the freezer for a few mintues, and then used a serrated knife to cut into the top of each layer about 1 inch. Then I used a smaller serrated knife to angle the cut down to the bottom as I turned the cake. When I stacked them I just made sure that the angles of the road were staggered.

My cake was iced in BCDream. I just used a small butter knife to smooth the road and the sides near the road, and then VIVA. Then I used a black strip of fondant for the road.

HTH. Good luck!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 16

I did a cake like this recently too, the race car track in my photos. I also stacked mine and carved the road into the sides of the cakes. I would have liked my road to be a little wider but it worked out ok... I was just happy that my son wanted a track and not a hot wheels car, LOL!

Courtney

projectqueen Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:00am
post #6 of 16

I'm sorry if I'm hijacking this post, but do you torte and fill the cake before or after you dig out the road?

mamacc Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:45am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectqueen

I'm sorry if I'm hijacking this post, but do you torte and fill the cake before or after you dig out the road?

Yes, I did.

projectqueen Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:57am
post #8 of 16

Sorry, I meant before or after you carved it?

mamacc Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:08am
post #9 of 16

Before carving. icon_smile.gif

nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:17am
post #10 of 16

Some one should make a step by step guide on how to do this! That would be so helpfull!

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:39am
post #11 of 16

I did one. You can look in my photos. Go Cart Cake and it was my first time doing a cake like this and I was nervous about cutting into the cake but once I started cutting it was extremely easy.

I iced and stacked my two tier cakes. I then cut in them by thinking of ramp going up and around a mountain. So I cut the angled ramp first (going into the side of the cake) and then I cut the extra cake away (going from the top down). I then iced the exposed cake and viva paper toweled it. The road is black fondant and I think the bright yellow border made the road really stand out.

Hope this helps.

bj icon_wink.gif

azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:43am
post #12 of 16

I agree with bjfranco (in fact I used her cake as inspiriation). I sounds scarry, but once you start cutting it all falls into place. Good luck!

projectqueen Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:01am
post #13 of 16

I'm so stupid! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I think these photos are just fantastic but I cannot understand for the life of me what you guys are talking about how it's carved.

azterp tried to explain it to me and bjfranco explained it here and I just don't get what either of you are saying. icon_cry.gif

When you start carving a filled cake, doesn't the filling start oozing out everywhere? I mean, you loose your icing dam and all that, don't you? Mine is going to be filled with pudding.

And do you mean you cut the top off the cake? I guess I just don't understand and you guys keep saying how easy it is, I feel like a dope icon_sad.gif

How many servings are you losing this way? I should have just about enough servings with a 12, 10 and 7. How many will I lose?

I don't want to go all the way around the cake, just zig zag up the front since I was trying to figure out how to make the yellow brick road on a Wizard of Oz cake.

If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks.

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:09am
post #14 of 16

aaahhhhhhhhh, the filling. Mine have been buttercream filling only and the one posted here was BC with fresh strawberries. If you must use the pudding filling I would go easy on the filling......... very easy....... and have some stiff BC ready to "squirt" back in along the area that you carve and then crumb coat. I have never done a pudding filling. Can you make it a little stiffer? Like a mousse?

When you cake is all iced and stacked and you standing there looking at your cake think about where you want the ramps and draw into the icing the line of ramp going up the side of the cake. Then take your knife and go into the side of the cake however deep you would like your road and cut ramp.........<like cutting into the side of a pumpkin>. Then I went down from the top of cake and cut away would be extra <almost a triangle like shape of cake will fall away>. Is this making any sense? It is so hard to get the point across on an email.

HTH

bj

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:25am
post #15 of 16

Mine was whipped cream, crushed pineapple and strawberry fillings...and it was a B-E-A-R!!! However, I think if I would do it again, I would start my dam in a little further from the edge on the side I would be cutting down.

When you cut off your cake, go over it right away with more buttercream to seal it up and then refrigerate to stiffen before doing a top coat.

When I cut my cake, I looked at the cake straight on and then make a toothpick mark where I wanted the road to be. I started on the right top edge of the cake and made a diagonal line down the front of the cake to the bottom left side. Then, I used a serrated knife to follow that line and only cut in towards the middle of the cake about 1-1/2 inches. (I figured until I crumb coated and iced I would be losing some depth, so I did the extra 1/2" to make sure my road would be wide enough).
Then, from the top of the cake, cut straight down until you meet the diagonal cut.

I did this for the second layer, but started at the left side and went down to the right.

Does that help?

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:18pm
post #16 of 16

Just want to thank everyone for the replies! I want to try it but I am nervous, I am not thte best carver. I appreciate the insight! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%