Ball Pan Help!!!

Decorating By cupcakequeen Updated 7 Apr 2006 , 9:49pm by slejdick

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

So, I'm looking at my cake that I baked using the ball pan... icon_confused.gif

How on earth do I ice it with buttercream so that it's smooth? Also, if I wanted to cover it in MMF, what is the best way to cover the ball so it's smooth?

I'm wanting to make the wilton baby rattle cake... http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/babyshower/cakerattleroll.cfm

Thanks

3 replies
ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 4

Hi, I used the ball pan for my basketball cake (you can see it in my photos). You'll need to slice off a bit of 1/2 of your ball cake so that it lies flat on your surface then frost it like any other cake.
Jacqui

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 4

Well, for me I sliced off the part that would be the bottom and then I started icing it before flipping it over on the cake board. I went around and around with a flat tip and after about three circles I smoothed it with a spatula. Then a did another couple of turns adding icing, smoothed it and after the third time I had covered enough of the ball that I curved underside was done. Then I put some icing on the cake board, set it upside down on the cut edge of the ball, and flipped it.
I put a thin layer on the center to hold the top part on to the bottom.
(no thick filling here cause it makes a gap you have to fill when icing.)
Put the top on the bottom and continue to ice the ball.
I've used the viva method to get it smooth with no problem.
I'm not sure how I would be able to ice the thing if I assembled it first.
The curve on that thing is sever.
icon_lol.gif

I'm not good at fondant so I'm curious to hear how people cover the ball with out getting huge ripples or pleats.

mommachris

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 4

I looked at the page you linked to, and clicked to see the larger version of the cake.

Their icing isn't perfectly smooth either! icon_biggrin.gif

Take a look at it, up close if you haven't yet - I don't think it has to be perfectly smooth, but you've gotten some good tips so far. icon_smile.gif

The only thing I've done with my ball pan is to make a soccer ball that was covered with stars. You could probably do it with stars if you're not happy with how smooth you can get it by smoothing, but be forewarned, it takes A LOT of stars to cover that cake, LOL!

Laura.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%