Got Asked To Do A Cake!!

Decorating By momof3jotynjake Updated 26 Apr 2005 , 7:07pm by momof3jotynjake

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 16

Ok.. now, I am a beginner. this will be my 1st cake order!!!
Its for a communion. Any ideas for a beginner cake???
I really would like this one to turn out!
I havent even said yes yet..!! ha ha. do you normally get nervous when asked?
I know i can do it.. but gosh, i feel so nervous!!

15 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 16

Congratulations to you on your first order (even though you haven't said yes, yet!) ...I'm sure you're excited, as well as nervous! I was a total wreck when I got my first order and sometimes I still get nervous but I think that is part of the "thrill" of decorating cakes!!

Check out the Galleries section for some beautiful communion cakes. I think the cross cake or book cake would be appropriate and relatively easy ones to do! Good luck to you in whatever you choose!!

momof3jotynjake Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

Congratulations to you on your first order (even though you haven't said yes, yet!) ...I'm sure you're excited, as well as nervous! I was a total wreck when I got my first order and sometimes I still get nervous but I think that is part of the "thrill" of decorating cakes!!

Check out the Galleries section for some beautiful communion cakes. I think the cross cake or book cake would be appropriate and relatively easy ones to do! Good luck to you in whatever you choose!!

thank you MrsMissey... I absolutely love that cross. Its beautiful. but, i noticed it only feeds 12 people? what if she wants it to feed more? any advice on that?

MrsMissey Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 16

Sure...put it on top of a sheet cake!! The sheet cake could even be a different flavor cake....so everyone is happy!

MrsMissey Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 16

..you could also torte the cake/s to extend the number of servings!

momof3jotynjake Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

Sure...put it on top of a sheet cake!! The sheet cake could even be a different flavor cake....so everyone is happy!

ooo!! that is a great idea!!... ok!! ill e-mail her back and give her the big THUMBS UP!! oooo my goodness! LOL!!!!
I really like that cross that posted with the pink fondant and flowers.... ive never used fondant though..

thank you!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 16

Congratulations on your first cake order! A cross cake is a beautiful idea.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 16

Congrats on your first order! I was so nervous when I got my first one... I still get nervous some times! Don't worry about the fondant, you'll pick it up quick. Just practice and play with it to see waht you can come up with. It reminds me of being little and playing with play-doh!

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 16

Momof3

Here's a link to more communion cakes just to give you an idea of what you can do.

http://www.party-cakes.com/first_holy_communion.htm

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 16

congrats!@!

momof3jotynjake Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

congrats!@!

thank you!!

do you have any ideas?

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 16

Congrats, momof3! I think that the cross would make a beuatiful cake, as well. And I also agree with placing it on top of a sheet cake. That way you can be sure to get all the servings that you will need. Don't worry about the nerves. It only shows that you take great pride and care in the work that you do! Now, say YES!!!!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 10:08pm
post #13 of 16

great for you! i have some advice, check your local bakeries for prices first to see what they are charging.....i failed to do this and undercharnges so many times.......now i have to tell my customers that my prices have gone up a bit, and it would have been easier to check the bakeries first....also keep in mind your skill level....you like me, are finishing wilton course 1, so we cant really charge a premium price like we could if we were ol' pros. factor all that in and come up with a price that sounds fair to you....i am telling you this because until recently, my prices were all over the place and very inconsistant.....now i came up with a price for 1/2 sheet cakes and charge just a little under what the grocery store bakery charges. ....like i said, when i get to be a pro i will get to charge those prices. haha
just my advice because that was the most stress for me is the price
happy baking
melody

momof3jotynjake Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 10:45pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyscakes

great for you! i have some advice, check your local bakeries for prices first to see what they are charging.....i failed to do this and undercharnges so many times.......now i have to tell my customers that my prices have gone up a bit, and it would have been easier to check the bakeries first....also keep in mind your skill level....you like me, are finishing wilton course 1, so we cant really charge a premium price like we could if we were ol' pros. factor all that in and come up with a price that sounds fair to you....i am telling you this because until recently, my prices were all over the place and very inconsistant.....now i came up with a price for 1/2 sheet cakes and charge just a little under what the grocery store bakery charges. ....like i said, when i get to be a pro i will get to charge those prices. haha
just my advice because that was the most stress for me is the price
happy baking
melody

what is the size for 1/2 sheet? Yeah,, but you know, the stores, their charge if for such a basic design. I feel we get all in depth, so that is somethign to take into consideration too.
GOsh,!1 ih ave no idea about prices! thanks for the idea! i will call a few places and see what they do charge! thank you soo much icon_smile.gif

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 6:48pm
post #15 of 16

I'm excited for you...this is the start of a lot of cake decorating. Seems like once you do the first one, everyone finds out you can decorate cakes and the orders start coming in. Good Luck!

momof3jotynjake Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 7:07pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycakes2

I'm excited for you...this is the start of a lot of cake decorating. Seems like once you do the first one, everyone finds out you can decorate cakes and the orders start coming in. Good Luck!

IS THAT WHAT HAPPEN WITH YOU?
I SURE HOPE THIS IS WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO ME!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%