Mmf Success

Decorating By Zmama Updated 10 Apr 2006 , 7:06am by carrielynnfields

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 4:42am
post #1 of 7

Thanks to everyone who has posted anything on mmf! I was looking for some new ideas since I have 4 birthdays next week in the family that I am doing cakes for. I found the mmf recipe and lots of advice and decided to try it tonight. It was soooo easy to use! icon_biggrin.gif I even tried making roses with it, and the petals were so lifelike. I did try going too thin, so the petals smashed when I set them down to dry, but that was my own mistake. We tried the cake (first ever fondant cake for me) after supper and it was a hit.

A couple questions:
Does the mmf stay chewy for long? We ate it two hours after it was made, so it was still fresh.
How do you make flowers so they don't lose shape when set down? They were gorgeous, but didn't hold shape. I tried them thicker, but it didnt have the same look.
Does anyone know why in the world my husband will only eat the violet fondant? He swears it tastes better than the blue and copper. (I kneaded in gel coloring - the marbled effect worked great for flowers, and it gets solid coloring easily too. This stuff is awesome!)

6 replies
dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 4:46am
post #2 of 7

congratulations! post pictures!!! icon_biggrin.gif
i've tried mmf a couple times. mixed results. so i can't really help. sorry.
good luck!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 4:51am
post #3 of 7

I would love to post pictures, but the munchkins (even the biggest one) couldn't keep their hands off the cake! Pulling fondant here, squishing it there.. not nearly as easy to fix as bc frosting.

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 4:58am
post #4 of 7

oh, I have a mmf question. Can the cake be refrigerated after the mmf is on it? I thought I read somewhere that a cake covered in mmf shouldn't be refrigerated.

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 6:23am
post #5 of 7

I have read that too, but I often refrigerate mine and I have had no problems. Keeping it out in a house filled with boys just isn't practical.

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 6:30am
post #6 of 7

i just got done with my first fondant cake ever also, using MMF of course icon_biggrin.gif i love the stuff! it was so easy to make (besides my using too small a bowl to microwave the marshmallows in...long story. hehe). and it tastes great! my boyfriend even thought it was yummy, and he's the fussiest eater icon_lol.gif

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 7:06am
post #7 of 7

Zmama, When I am making MMF flowers I use "fixed" fondant. That is MMF with a little fixodent in it. Sounds weird I know but it works like a charm! You can look at my pics. The white roses on the white cake are fixed roses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%