Looking For A Good Rum Cake

Decorating By chefcindy Updated 10 Apr 2007 , 8:16pm by KoryAK

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 12:33am
post #1 of 11

I have a wedding cake for 175... they want a rum cake. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have seen a couple recipes, but wanted to hear if there were any really good ones for a wedding cake. I don't usually bake from scratch, so if I could start with a mix, that would be great!

10 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 12:45am
post #2 of 11

You can use rum+simple syrup on any cake you already like and you can also add something link Hero Rum Compound to the batter.

chefcindy Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:42am
post #3 of 11

Do I add that after the cake is baked?? What is Hero Rum compound?

chefcindy Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:48am
post #4 of 11

Any other help??? Please!

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 6:19am
post #5 of 11

I would do what KoryAK suggested.. use a good rum in a simple syrup and brush it on after the cake has baked..Sorry I don't know what Hero Rum compound is.

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 11

Check out this link: (you could omit nuts)http://www.recipegoldmine.com/cakemixcakeQ/cakemix3.html

It's one of those 1000 things to do with a cake mix. I haven't made particular rum cake, but most of my baking I that web site, or another quite simular to it.

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 11

Cake mix doctor book has a Bacardi rum cake with a rum glaze (they made it as a bundt cake- but I'm sure you can make it in layers).
Or I have a recipe for an "Almost Tortuga Rum Cake". The Tortuga Rum cake is sold by the makers of Tortuga Rum- but this is a CLOSE substitute! It is a scratch cake, bu the recipe is broken into parts- one of which they call the 'basic cake mix'. Don't see any reason you couldn't sub. a yellow cake mix for that part. Let me know if you want the recipe.

roanoker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roanoker Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 11

I had to do an Italian Rum Cake fairly recently. I found out these things...

An Italian Rum Cake is a Sponge Cake soaked in Rum Syrup. It is supposed to be VERY moist with the rum syrup, and any good sponge cake recipe will work. The cake should be light and fluffy to hold all of the syrup. It is a traditional Italian Wedding cake. It traditionally has pastry cream between the layers. Another name for it is Pan De Spagna I think.

There is a good rum cake recipe out there that you would have to search for, it is a Neiman-Marcus Rum Cake. It has some flavorings like nutmeg in it and is DELICIOUS! It is a much denser cake than the traditional Italian Rum Cake. I think it would hold up to stacking very well. It is also soaked in rum syrup.

There is another recipe I came up with everywhere I searched for an Italian Rum Cake. It is submitted by someone with the Username Dee514. I mistakenly thought that since it showed up on almost every site I went to it must be a good and authentic recipe. I had disastorous results with this one and do not recommend it at all. Be wary of this recipe. I think it is possible to pull off, but I don't know how. If you are uncomfortable with scratch baking, do not attempt. However it has a great recipe for the pastry cream with it and the rum syrup.

All of these do rely on scratch baking. I am sure you could use any mix that you like and soak it with rum syrup, but I thought you might like this information anyway. I found a simple sponge cake recipe and really got the hang of it by the end...40+ eggs later icon_smile.gif

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 11

Just curious- is this an adult only reception? Or will there be a non-alcoholic option? There are some adults too that can't or shouldn't or don't want to ingest alcohol. The alcohol IN the cake should be burned off, but not the alcohol in the soaking syrup. Just something to think about. icon_wink.gif

roanoker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roanoker Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 11

caryl has a good point. As far as children, the rum syrup that I have made amounts to very little per serving. You would have to eat the whole cake in order to get a large enough serving of acohol to potentially cause problems and the taste is still somewhat mild. However, you definitely have a point with the adults who should not have any alcohol, even a small amount can get some adults into trouble. You may want to remind your client that this could be an issue.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 11

Yes remind the client, but I let my 8yo eat things like that which contain a bit of alcohol no problem.

Hero is an excellent brand that carries lots of different flavoring compounds. You can do a google search to find suppliers, I get mine from my local wholesaler. The conpounds can be added to just about anything: cake batter, simple syrup, mousse, icing - anything. They are a thick, syrupy flavoring, not like the extracts you can buy from the store, and are actually made from the product. They come from Switzerland and taste fantastic. I have all of the flavors and I use them constantly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%