Getting Color Smooth And Even

Decorating By Jaremcal Updated 10 Apr 2007 , 3:36pm by wgoat5

Jaremcal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaremcal Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 12:33am
post #1 of 6

In the past we have done several cakes where we need to color the entire cake one color or another. Like for St Patricks day we frosted the entire cake green. It all was good until later when we notice the icing (we use buttercream) looks marbled and there are swirls that are darker and lighter. We have tried mixing the color in using the KA but that wont even get it done.

Any ideas on how to stop this from happening or what is causing it? We are using buttercream....1/2 shortening and 1/2 salted butter, adding in a bit of milk, vanilla and powdered sugar.

5 replies
Tray2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tray2 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 2:16am
post #2 of 6

well that used to happen to me when i used country crok... i switched to publix sweet cream salted butter and that works great... the onlyt time i have an issue now is it i leave it out for to long and the butter melts... good luck hope this helps icon_smile.gif

mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 2:30am
post #3 of 6

What brand of Food Coloring do you use?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 2:37am
post #4 of 6

Is the icing too high in your mixer? If the icing is climbing above the paddle, it's not getting a chance to mix thoroughly. I might also ask the brand and/or type of color .... paste, gel and powder mix different.

Jaremcal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaremcal Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 6

we use wilton colors.

I never noticed if it was over the paddle. I'm going to have to check. I dont think the butter is melting. It is soft when we make it but once it is on the cake the cake goes in the fridge. We use walmart brand salted butter.

Thanks for the ideas.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 6

My green did that a lot to till I switched to chefcolor and americolor (I really like the purples and pinks for chefscolor). And also you could be mixing to long. I noticed the colors would break down when I first started if I over mixed...the butter would seperate therefore seperating the color.

HTH
Christi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%