Tie-Died Summer Cake Help Request...

Decorating By my2sunshines Updated 9 Apr 2007 , 9:04pm by Ariginal

my2sunshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2sunshines Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I have a friend getting married in July. I am making her cake. She is a fun hippie type ( I made them a grateful dead birthday cake in my pics that they loved ),so I would like to make them a tie-dyed wedding cake tiered. I don't have an airbrush machine (would consider getting one) so I was planning to use the spray cans. My question is I cover my cakes in buttercream and the cake will be outside. Do you think it is a bad idea to do the cake this way since it will probably be very hot out and the colors may melt? I have never covered a cake complete w/ fondant before, but would that work better?

Thanks for the advice and please add any fun hippie elements if you think of some....

Kim

5 replies
noley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noley Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 6

what if you dip round and oval cookie cutters in different colors of sugar and then applied them to the cake over lapping colors and circles shapes... it creates a tie die "effect' i've seen cupcakes made like this before and filed it away in my brain for future purposes...

just an idea
Jen

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 6

I don't know if you like to use fondant, but I think that if you took white fondant and split it up into chnks and colored each chunk a different-funky color and marbled them together, that would give you a tie-dyed effect. The fondant would also hold up to the heat.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Wanda

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 6

I don't know if this would work.... but how about brush embroidery? You could start with the outside circle and drag out then do the next ring and drag out to blend with the first ring? and so on... please disregard this if it would never work....the only experience I have with brush embroidery is in Course 2 (I think?) and I wasn't very good at it! icon_lol.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 6

I love all the ideas so far! I know you haven't used fondant, but it's not hard - just make sure it's the right consistency - pliable but not sticky.

You could do any of the ideas above, or you could use the sprays on the fondant! If you can afford an airbrush that would be awesome, though - from what I've seen the results are probably more consistent and you don't get any splotches with it - but it's not a necessity.

Make sure and post pics - want to see what you decide on!

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 6

Hi, pretty awesome ideas already... apart from ty dying hippies do the flower power and peace symbols maybe you could incorporate these in the cake... made from fondant or the mmf...

or paint them on with a paint brush and your gel colours.

good luck cant wait to see the finished cake.

happy decorating..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%