Good Beginner Book For Sugar Flowers?

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 10 Apr 2007 , 3:18pm by ShirleyW

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 8

does anyone have any recommendations for good books on sugar flowers? I have not made any yet, so something for beginners. A couple I was thinking about was the simplifying sugar flowers by alison procter and the other was one by alan dunn and some others, I cant remember the name, was it "sugar roses for cakes" or something like that?

7 replies
kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 8

bump-I'd like to know, too icon_wink.gif

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 2:43am
post #3 of 8

Yep, I have those books and they were the best investment I've ever made. I do a lot of GP work (hope you can take a peak in my album) and I have learned a lot from them. Good luck. Can hardly wait to see your work. Enjoy.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 11:50am
post #4 of 8

Oh i know your work Fairytale! You do excellent flowers! Well maybe those will be my first two books to purchase then! Thanks a lot, I value your opinion!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 8

[quote="Fairytale"]Yep, I have those books and they were the best investment I've ever made. I do a lot of GP work (hope you can take a peak in my album) and I have learned a lot from them. Good luck. Can hardly wait to see your work. Enjoy.[/quote/]

What an endorsement...your work is flawless!

I'm just beginning to work with GP-are these books too advanced for beginner work? If so is there a "GP for Dummies", or another starter book???

You are really a gifted artist...I love looking at your pieces.

Kathy

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks. I don't think the books are to advanced to a beginner. Another book I like is Lesley Herbert's Complete Book of Sugar Flowers. It just takes practice.

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 8

I had the same question and to have it answered by someone like Fairytale seals the deal on the books I will be getting, thanks!!!!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 8

Simplifying is a good book and fairly easy. Alan Dunn is a wonderful sugar artist but I don't consider any of his books to be for beginners. You might look for some simple flower books by Margaret Ford like
Blooming Quick or Blossoming Out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%